We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yankees vs Mets rivalry

Stevenage, United...
Level Contributor
26 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Yankees vs Mets rivalry

I'm travelling to New York in May and was wondering is it ok for a neautral to attend a big rivalary game like this. Is the rivalary pretty violent? And will I be ok being a neautral.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,496 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Yankees vs Mets rivalry

It's not violent. It's not serious. They are in 2 different leagues and dont play each other usually. It will be a fun game, not a dangerous one.

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
7,960 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Yankees vs Mets rivalry

Yankees / Mets ("Subway Series") games are not considered a major rivalry; as nywhiz says, they don't play in the same league and the games don't usually have an effect on the season outcome. It's more just a way for New Yorkers to revel in the fact that we have two teams. The Yankees' major rivals are the Boston Red Sox. The Mets' major rivals are an empty sort of sadness.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
4,765 posts
332 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Yankees vs Mets rivalry

As mentioned above, These are very fun games to attend, very festive and exciting atmosphere in the stadium! ENJOY the game!

New York, NY
Level Contributor
293 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Yankees vs Mets rivalry

Mets vs Yankees games are taken very seriously by the fans. There is LOTS of yelling and screaming - the fans try to out shout each other. Most of it is great NYC fun. If you are neutral you'll be swept up in the moment and will probably leave either a Met or Yankee fan depending on who you are sitting near.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,769 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Yankees vs Mets rivalry

We, in the US, do not have the same violent sports tradition that the UK and most of Europe has. There is no such thing as a sporting event that is dangerous to attend in the US. In most cases there aren't even specific sections for opposing fans to sit. Our Major League Soccer matches do have supporters' sections, but aside from that people sit wherever.

Center Moriches...
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Yankees vs Mets rivalry

Usually very popular, can be a tougher ticket than most match ups. Big crowd adds to the fun.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
96 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Yankees vs Mets rivalry

Met and Yankee fans take this sport very serious. So I'm not sure if you will even enjoy being there if your neutral. These games are very popular and lots of yelling going on.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Yankees vs Mets rivalry

It's a great game to go to just for the atmosphere. You don't need to be a fan of either team to go to a game in the US...

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
13,307 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Yankees vs Mets rivalry

Just one caution. Be aware of which team's fans are around you. I once was in a skybox here in Syracuse through a work connection with my middle manager who is a big Mets fan. Our team at the time had a Yankees connection & they were playing a team connected with the Mets. We were all embarrassed by my manager's rooting against the home team very loudly. If you find yourself surrounded by one team's fans, consider yourself a fan of their team as well.

Flushing, New York
Level Contributor
5,504 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Yankees vs Mets rivalry

The silly custom in NYC is to dress for sporting events in such a way so you will be prepared if called down to the field to play in an emergency. Baseball shirts and caps will be much in evidence. People at the US Open in Flushing show up in tennis attire. We have not reached the point where opera attendees appear in horned helmets, but we are not far away, If you are neutral, simply do not wear any team related items. People will likely be very pleased to see a foreigner taking an interest in an American sport.

Edited: 24 March 2014, 21:58