We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

AirTrain, LIRR and metro card queries?

Level Contributor
41 posts
107 reviews
Save Topic
AirTrain, LIRR and metro card queries?

I've searched through recent posts, but none really answer my query.

We arrive in sept, and intend to get the AirTrain to Jamaica, then the LIRR to Penn, my questions are-

How much is, and where do I pay for the AirTrain?

Am I right in thinking that you then buy a single ticket from Jamaica to Penn? How much?

Then purchase a metro card once in Manhatten?

Cheers in anticipation x

Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
147 Reviews
from US$175.00*
Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island...
1,168 Reviews
from US$57.00*
New York in One Day Guided...
1,053 Reviews
from US$83.99*
NYC Empire State Observatory...
2,417 Reviews
from US$37.00*
Center Moriches...
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: AirTrain, LIRR and metro card queries?

Pay for Airtrain AFTER the ride. $5, plenty of people around to help you out. Look for ticket machines after you get through the Airtrain turnstiles. You want one way Jamaica to Penn, $7 - $10 depending on time of day. You can add metro rides to your railroad ticket on the machine. Train to Penn is outside down the stairs.

Edited: 24 March 2014, 23:21
Whitby, Ontario
Level Contributor
165 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: AirTrain, LIRR and metro card queries?

I just asked recently about that connection and got some brilliantly detailed info from MoreFFmiles. Here is the thread:

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k7286860-…

New York NY
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: AirTrain, LIRR and metro card queries?

There are uniformed people at Jamaica to assist you. They're very friendly and very helpful.

Fare control is handled at Jamaica.

There are two machines that sell combined JFK AirTrain / LIRR tickets. $9.00 on the weekend - select "CityTicket" - that's $5.00 for the JFK AirTrain and $4.00 for the LIRR. On weekdays - for trains arriving Manhattan after 10:00AM, it's $12.00 (that's $5.00 plus $7.00). No $1.00 fee or anything associated with these tickets.

Hold on to your tickets as they'll be collected by the uniformed conductor on the LIRR.

Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
7,785 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: AirTrain, LIRR and metro card queries?

If you are going anywhere else besides 34 St and 8th Avenue, why not just take the E Subway train to your actual destination? Much cheaper, especially if you are getting a 7-day pass anyway, and no slower, and all E trains leave from the same platform every 6-8 minutes or so. And it either goes right to your destination, any of about 10 Manhattan stations, or has an easy transfer to wherever you are headed, much easier than changing from the LIRR to the subway at Penn Station.

5. Re: AirTrain, LIRR and metro card queries?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 March 2015, 06:16