We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is New York City Pass worth the money

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
31 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Is New York City Pass worth the money

Hello Fellow Travellers,

I will be arriving NYC this weekend and interested to cover most of the famous touristy places in NYC. I would like to get your review as to whether Official NY City Pass is worth the money. I intend to buy a 3 Day City Pass that guarantees entry in 80 of the city's most visited attractions including Hop On Hop Off Bus tours.The pass costs around $189 and claims a big amount of Savings.

Please advise.

Thanks,

A Slice of Brooklyn Bus Tours
Food Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours
On Location Tours
Walking Tours, Film & TV Tours, Bus Tours
The New York Beer and Brewery Tour
Beer Tastings & Tours, Cultural Tours, Bus Tours, Private Tours
The Ride
City Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours
Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is New York City Pass worth the money

Absolutely not!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
100,939 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is New York City Pass worth the money

You will not be able to do enough in that time to save the money. You will run around like chickens without heads ticking things off a list. Do yourself a favor and don't buy the pass. Make a list of the things you really want to see and see THOSE.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
100,939 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is New York City Pass worth the money

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k7301053…

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
31 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is New York City Pass worth the money

Thanks nywhiz. Could you also share your recommendation on the Bars/clubs 'Terra Blues' & 'Fat Cat' where they play Live Blues & Live Jazz, I intend to do 1 each day. Or is there any other better place you would recommend. Many Thanks for your feedback.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
31 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is New York City Pass worth the money

Thanks ter1413 - what is the better way to go around then?

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,771 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is New York City Pass worth the money

The subway is the best way to get around, plus walking. NYC is very walkable. Attractions are spread out, but they are also clusters of things to do and see in the same general, walkable area.

The first step will be to decide what you want to do and see. You won't have time to do it all, so you'll have to pick and choose. Take a look at the Top Questions section for some ideas. Use maps.google.com to get an idea of where things are.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
10,040 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is New York City Pass worth the money

I am assuming that you're only going for 3 days. So 80 into 3 is .........lots (still pre-coffee here).

Many of the 'famous touristy sites' are FREE, so that may also affect your decision about any pass. This includes Times Square, Central Park and Brooklyn Bridge.

You don't say if you've been to NYC before, but given you're asking about the 'famous touristy sites' I would guess no.

I would make a list of what you want to see - 2 things during the day and one at night and, as Chris has already said. map them on a hardcopy map or something like google maps to see how to group them.

If you are on a computer or tablet (not a phone), you can see a list of Frequently Asked Questions on the right side. One of them is about the Passes - tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60763-c140362/New-Yo…

The City Pass might be a good option if you're idea of 'major touristy sites' involves visiting the museums. It covers 6 major attractions - 9 days....but it depends what you are thinking of doing.

Have a great time.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
31 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is New York City Pass worth the money

Thanks for your feedback. Per your suggestion I have carved out the following plan. I would do a HOHO tour for city sight seeing but to visit all the places I would use sub way. Are day pass available for subway or should I buy ticket every time I board sub way

Day 1

1. Empire State Building (Buy ticket for Night + Day)

2. Grand Central Terminal

3. Apple Store 5th Ave

4. Rockefeller Center (Visit day time only Day)

5. Central Park

6. Radio City Music Hall

7. Times Square

8. Broadway

9. Toys R Us

Day 2

1. 9/11 Memorial – Ground Zero (book visitor pass online)

2. Wall Street

3. Statue of Liberty (buy statuecruises.com ticket online)

4. Brooklyn Bridge

Day 3

1. High Line

2. Madame Tussauds (buy ticket online)

3. Broadway Manhattan

4. Bryant Park

5. Museums + Shopping

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
50 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is New York City Pass worth the money

Ive been researching our trip for december, and there are 2 passes.

New york city pass

And new york pass

New york pass has the value. City pass is "smaller" amount of attractions.

5 of us are travelling and it cost me $1215 incl exchange rate. The attractions we want to go to would cost us just under $1800. Saving us $600 if we make all the attractions we have in our itinerary.

Hope this helps. Also download the new york pass free app. Has budgets, itineraries etc. its pretty good. I haven't "used" it yet, but it is looking to be valuable based on our plans.

We are going for 8 days, so prob better value than a short stay.

Edited: 06 April 2014, 09:48
Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
905 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is New York City Pass worth the money

I have bought city passes for our visit. The 6 attractions were ones we would have done anyway, plus I have money now and is good not having to spend money on entrance fees while there.

I know the museums sometimes have free entry and other times are pay what you feel fair, but as a visitor I would always pay the recommended price and want flexibility with timing.

The pass that has a million attractions didn't appeal as per above. Mostly would be things we wouldn't necessarily do.