We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting from JFK to Long Island City late at night with kids

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
235 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Getting from JFK to Long Island City late at night with kids

Hi,

We will be arriving at JFK from Australia September 26 at 9pm staying at Country Inn and Suites Long Island City. I'm not sure how long it will take us to get through the airport. There will be myself and kids aged 19,16,13,and 11 all with wheeled luggage and hand luggage. I'm wondering whether we should use the Airtrain and subway or use a car service. I understand the Airtrain is $5 each and then cost of subway. I am looking at the 7 day unlimited metro card but as we are staying 11 days I'm not sure whether to get two 7 day cards each or just one and use a loaded card for the other days seeing the first and last day will be only transferring to the airport, leaving 9 full days in New York. Our departing flight is 1245 October 6 to Orlando. Does anyone know how long before the flight we'll be required to be at the airport?

Thanks so much for any help.

Mentioned in this post
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
147 Reviews
from US$175.00*
Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island...
1,169 Reviews
from US$57.00*
New York in One Day Guided...
1,053 Reviews
from US$83.99*
NYC Empire State Observatory...
2,417 Reviews
from US$37.00*
Queens, NY
Level Contributor
8,822 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting from JFK to Long Island City late at night with kids

At 9 pm? After 20 hours of travel? Just call a car service and ask for a van. It'll cost you something like $50 to LIC, and considering you'd pay something like $35 for the train, GO FOR IT.

Central Village...
Level Contributor
18,055 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting from JFK to Long Island City late at night with kids

A car service would be the intelligent and practical resolution to your transfer from JFK...

Good advice from jhwanaderer!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,038 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting from JFK to Long Island City late at night with kids

I would book a car service for your arriving flight. It shouldn't be much more than $60, whereas the airtrain will cost $37.50 for 5 people (airtrain + subway). You could take the airtrain to Jamaica and transfer to the E train. The E goes to Queens Plaza and from there is is a 5-8 minute walk to the hotel. But for a few extra dollars, I would take a car service to eliminate the subway/metrocard hassle. For the rest of the week, I would get a 7-day metrocard, and then get a pay-per-ride card for the last few days. You can load the pay-per-ride value on to your same metrocard once the 7-day pass expires. Usually, domestic flights need you to arrive 1.5-2 hours in advance of departure time.

Shawn

http://nytourguy.blogspot.com/

http://instagram.com/nytourguy

Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Queens, NY
Queens
Queens
New York
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
235 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting from JFK to Long Island City late at night with kids

$50 - $60 sounds great. Can you please recommend which car services I should look at?

Thanks

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,038 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting from JFK to Long Island City late at night with kids

Dial7 and Carmel are the two large car services. Their service is usually adequate though not always perfect. Dial 7 has a minivan for $78 plus tip (sorry I lowballed it a little). Other posters might know better car services than the big 2, but I usually use Dial7.

Shawn

http://nytourguy.blogspot.com/

http://instagram.com/nytourguy

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting from JFK to Long Island City late at night with kids

allstatelimo.com is another option

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
235 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting from JFK to Long Island City late at night with kids

Dial 7 quoted Mini Van: $78(not including tolls & gratuity) - can accommodate 5 passengers with 4-5 large bags.

Can you please give me some idea of how much the tolls and gratuity should be?

New York NY
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting from JFK to Long Island City late at night with kids

No tolls between JFK Airport and Long Island City. The tolls are going into Manhattan (which you're not doing).

Tip is generally 15 - 20% depending on the level of service.

Mentioned in this post
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting from JFK to Long Island City late at night with kids

Hey djsgc:-) I'm with the good folks here on arrival.. you're coming a distance:) As far as your flight out to Orlando, usually domestics require.. or suggest...getting there a couple of hours in advance.. so always good to check with your carrier for specifics;-) You can also check www.carmellimo.com/ Have fun.. and EnJOY!

Mentioned in this post
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
10. Re: Getting from JFK to Long Island City late at night with kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 April 2015, 05:17