We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tallest building in NYC

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
563 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Tallest building in NYC

Okay i believe its world trade center one, followed by the empire state building,my mate saw something on tripadvisor talking about a building near central park as being the tallest ? i dont know of this building, can locals advise on which is the tallest, apparently theres restaurants and observation decks ?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,409 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tallest building in NYC

The tallest building that is open to the public currently is Empire State building , it will lose its title when One World Trade Centre is finished .

The GE Building , Rockefeller Centre is the only other one I know that has observation decks open to the public at the top and it houses the Rainbow Room restaurant on the 65th floor , the restaurant has been closed for a number of years , but is due to reopen late 2014 . However the building is about the 13th tallest in New York

The Trump Tower is taller and is nearer Central Park , but it is not open to the public.

Hove, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,908 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tallest building in NYC

Perhaps he's thinking of The Time Warner Center, although at 229 m/750 ft it's not that tall and ranks at number 25. It has restaurants but I'm not sure about an actual observation deck.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tallest building in NYC

One57 when opened will be the tallest residential building in NYC....but that will be beaten when another building which is under construction is finished.

Manhattan
Level Contributor
8,921 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tallest building in NYC

When you visit head to the skyscraper museum. A little museum with a big story to tell. Skyscraper.org

Thestarryeye.typad.com/explorenyc

Flushing, New York
Level Contributor
5,748 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tallest building in NYC

It was popular at one time for tall buildings to have observation decks, but there are only two still around in NYC at the moment, both from the 1930s---The Empire State and GE buildings. The WTC #1 will be a third location. Old movies show nightclubs on the roofs of hotels with the big band being broadcast on radio. These also have vanished and I am not aware of any restaurant in the sky since the destruction of the Windows on World in the WTC. The Rainbow Room in Rockefeller Center has had a troubled business history of late and has opened and closed more than once..

The tallest building in NYC is the WTC #1, though this is really not as tall as the former Sears Tower in Chicago. There is some silly rule about spires vs. antennas for the title and the NYC building has a taller one, though the building proper is shorter. Office towers over about 70 stories tend to cost more to build than what they bring in rent and are essentially ego trips.

Edited: 26 March 2014, 12:57
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,898 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Tallest building in NYC

There is a new hotel near Central Park which is the tallest in North America. Perhaps there was a misunderstanding about it being the tallest hotel, not building?

The new hotel is part of the Marriott chain and combines a Courtyard with a Residence Inn on top of it:

cnn.com/2014/…

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tallest building in NYC

Many, many years ago I remember eating lunch at the Top of the Sixes. The friend that took me used to be a hostess there years before. I know that's gone now too.

8. Re: Tallest building in NYC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 March 2015, 04:16