We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Woodbury common

Kildare, Ireland
Level Contributor
35 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Woodbury common

Hi Everyone,

Will be in New York soon and want to go to Woodbury Common for the day - will be staying in a hotel close to Port Authority so will have access to bus - can you advise what is the best way to travel bus or if there is a train? And what bus service would you recommend and also sorry last thing should you buy bus ticket online?

Thanks a million and advice kindly taken :-)

Pocono Daytripper
Taxis & Shuttles, Bus Transportation
NYC Airporter
Taxis & Shuttles, Bus Transportation
Bolt Bus
Bus Transportation
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
100,914 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Woodbury common

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k7239949…

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
4,471 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Woodbury common

You will get lots of flack for wanting to go there, but I say it can be a fun diversion if you plan it out. Look over the stores on the mall's website, figure out where you want to go, and make it a mission.

For my one trip there a couple years back, I took one of the early buses leaving around 8:30, arrived at Woodbury about an hour later, and was waiting at one of my target stores when they opened. Got huge bargains at the Prada and Diesel stores, looked through a couple others, then was back on the bus at 12:30, having a late lunch in Manhattan before 2.

If you know what you want, it can be kind of a nice ride through the countryside out of the city, I wouldn't recommend going if you're only on vacation a couple of days, and I would never spend an entire day there, it's just not necessary.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Woodbury common

Take the Shortline bus from PA directly to WC(and back.) Takes about 1hr as noted above. The ticket booth is on the 2nd floor.

Don't pay extra for a 'coupon booklet'. You can sign up for the VIP program and get that for free. The roundtrip bus fare is $32.40.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,757 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Woodbury common

Make sure you learn about shopping options right in NYC before you invest the time to go to the 'burbs. Also note that there is some amount of controversy over outlet shops carrying label products manufactured specifically for discount sales vs the products initially manufactured for retail, then moved to outlet.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Woodbury common

It's not really a controversy IMO...

Outlets usually carry:

-Clothing/items made specifically for the outlet stores..or,

-Clothing/items from past season(s).

You can definitely get first rate merchandise from outlets depending on what you are looking for.

Oldham, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Woodbury common

Are the tickets till the same price from the ticket desk as they are from the sellers outside? Those that also sell the bus tours?

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Woodbury common

**Are the tickets till the same price from the ticket desk as they are from the sellers outside? Those that also sell the bus tours?**

No.

The outside sellers include a markup for things like the coupon booklet, etc.

If you buy directly from the Shortline Bus ticket window and ask for a ticket without the coupon booklet, you will be charged the base fare($32.40.)

Now I have send sales on Groupon for less. Not sure what bus line they use and if there is a set time to go/return.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Woodbury common

To add, you can get a voucher for the coupon booklet by signing up for the free VIP plan:

https://www.premiumoutlets.com/vip/

Central Village...
Level Contributor
17,928 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Woodbury common

I just watched a segment on NBC's TODAY show with a retail expert and the subject of outlets came up - he stated that 60-70% of the merchandise sold at these venues is made specifically for the outlet and is of lower quality than in any of the brands flagship stores.

Something to think about - my son recently purchased a shirt at a Brooks Brothers outlet and one sleeve was 4 inches shorter than the other......

Shop in the City - Macy's Bloomie's Saks are always having sales and you can get a 10% visitor discount card for even more savings.....Don't waste time and money schlepping to an outlet mall!

Kildare, Ireland
Level Contributor
35 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Woodbury common

Thanks you everyone for all your comments they have been noted..........