We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NYAC room for $425 a night?

T L
Honolulu, Hawaii
8 posts
Save Topic
NYAC room for $425 a night?

My husband and I are spending 3 nights in NYC during Memorial weekend. We haven't been to NYC for over 10 yrs. We are reciprocal members of NYAC, got a quote for $425 a nite for a king room with park view. Have read many threads about NYAC (dress code/small room). We want a nice (3+ star) hotel, that will be close to attractions, Central Park and restaurants. We like the NYAC because of its exclusivity, the view, and being so close yo everything. We're not sure if the price is reasonable for the location. Are there other hotels in the same price range (or around $300-$350) that we should look into? Around the same proximity?

We looked at the Plaza, but is around $700-800.

Any insights would be greatly appreciated. We plan to see a broadway show, ground zero, museum, Chinatown and possibly Statue of Liberty.

Thank you!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,925 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: NYAC room for $425 a night?

"...got a quote for $425 a nite for a king room with park view."

"Are there other hotels in the same price range (or around $300-$350) that we should look into? "

-Well the Park Lane Hotel is a block away and you can get a park view room there for ~$350/night plus tax on websites like Travelocity. Rooms are a good size but the furniture is a bit dated there and it won't have the same kind of exclusive feel.

-Nearby, the WestHouse hotel is new...actually inside the same building as the Park Central but exclusive. A Luxe king room there is $350/night plus tax on Travelocity (I'm searching on kayak.com) but no park view. Nice amenities though including free continental breakfast and everything is new. It does have a "clubby" feel.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60763-d4945551…

-There's a new hotel tower at Broadway & 54th st. that is now the tallest hotel building in NYC. It houses the Courtyard Central Park South and above that, a new Residence Inn. The views from the high floors will be dramatic. City views at the Residence Inn (1717Broadway is the address) are ~$300/night plus tax while park views runs around$400-450 plus tax. But there are city views that include sweeping vistas of the Hudson River that are less expensive. Have a look at the "travelers photos" on the review page here. The rooms have kitchens and a full cooked breakfast comes in the room rate. They also have a sun deck.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60763-d6023925…

-The Viceroy is another new hotel in that area. A park view room there is ~$480/night plus tax.

The Essex House is along there and has park view rooms but ~$570/night plus tax.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60763-d4232686…

map of those

http://goo.gl/maps/Xw8jN

I want to point out to you that everything you mention except the Broadway show and perhaps a museum is all the way downtown (Chinatown, 9/11 Memorial, Statue of Liberty). If you wanted to stay further downtown, there are plenty of other options in Soho, the financial district, even near Union Square which has an express subway up to midtown. :)

map

http://goo.gl/maps/x0gef

Finally, if you intend going TO the Statue of Liberty, you need to book tickets online in advance at

statuecruises.com

For the 9/11 memorial, tickets are at

911memorial.org

If you just want to pass by the Statue, there are loads of cruise options, some including food and/or drinks.

sail-ny.com

shearwatersailing.com

nywatertaxi.com

bateauxnewyork.com

QQ2
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
7,537 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: NYAC room for $425 a night?

And I hope you understand that "exclusivity" at the NYAC has historically meant excluding Jews, blacks, women, etc, exclusiveness it has only recently started to relinquish (often as a result of a lawsuit). A year or two ago I was shocked when my college planned a Christmas party there to which I was invited, and declined, along with quite a few other people, and the party hasn't been held there since.

It began as an athletic club for rich Irish Catholics who probably had been excluded from waspy clubs, so they in turn decided to discriminate against every other group, as is so often the case

T L
Honolulu, Hawaii
8 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: NYAC room for $425 a night?

Thank you for your detailed post Nywhiz. I checked out Park Lane, Viceroy, and residence inn. I didn't look at Essex House because it's out of my price range. Love the look of Viceroy. However, for a parkview, the room rate is same or a little more than NYAC.

So, what would you do? is it better to go with $425 park view at NYAC?

Or $450 (advance purchase) for a courtyard view at Viceroy.

Or Residence inn, pay advance, $250 first night and $400 the last 2 nights for city view. Or regular rate of $279 and $429 city view.

Thank you so much.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,452 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: NYAC room for $425 a night?

Did I read somewhere recently that the new Residence Inn has a 5 day minimum stay requirement? I struck me as really odd for a City hotel where business people often bop in and out for a night or two.

Could somebody confirm this?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,245 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: NYAC room for $425 a night?

QQ2 - I wrote then deleted a similar response.

When I worked for Motor Boating & Sailing at Hearst, women had to enter via the loading dock to attend our own company Christmas party at the NYAC. Bad judgment having it there but they weren't the most sensitive people at the time - do I have stories!

Edited: 28 March 2014, 21:39
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,925 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: NYAC room for $425 a night?

I think what you're really asking is what YOU should do. If having a park view is that important to you and IF you don't mind the dress code at NYAC and IF you can book the NYAC without prepaying and can cancel, you could do that and see if prices come down at other places or any sales appear, as they might. It sounds like you've stayed there and like the place. I'd ask though, have you stayed there in spring/summer. I can understand the appeal in winter as a cosy place with all that dark wood and clubby feel, but in good weather, I would find the dress code and lack of outdoor space annoying. I don't know if they charge tax for the rooms (not sure whether clubs have to charge tax) but if they do, the prepay price at the Residence Inn room with park view (not one of the options you listed in your last post which confuses me) is not just less expensive, but better value as it includes breakfast. The Residence Inn has also has a sundeck. The Courtyard Central Park in the same building also has some rooms with park views although I'm not sure how good they are. It is the same building as the RI though and I believe guests of both hotels have use of the sundeck. The Parker Meridien has park view rooms starting at $389 (prepaid) up to $437 plus tax. They also have a rooftop pool (enclosed) and a sundeck.

The Quin is another new hotel in that area I forgot to mention. They have a rate of ~$420/night plus tax on websites like Travelocity.com

Note to FMPW

I don't see any sign of minimum stays since this is a 3 night stay and I'm getting prices.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,452 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: NYAC room for $425 a night?

nywhiz ... here is the January article where I read about 5 night minimum. Maybe the report is wrong or maybe they changed the policy.

It really didn't seem to make sense. Lots of regular business travels arrive Monday and leave Friday, only staying for four nights.

cnn.com/2014/…

T L
Honolulu, Hawaii
8 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: NYAC room for $425 a night?

NYWhiz, I took your advice and book a room that is cancellable, Waldorf Astoria. It seems like a great hotel, although mix reviews.

Thank you.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,925 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: NYAC room for $425 a night?

Sigh. The Waldorf is woefully "tired". There are loads of better cancelable options. I suggest you have a look at photos on

Oyster.com

There is a reason reviews are mixed. It depends on what you pay and what you expect. Frankly, the Helmsley Park Lane is IMO a nicer option than the Waldorf and you never even mentioned it. I thought it looked too dated for you. If that's the case, you'll hate the Waldorf.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,765 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: NYAC room for $425 a night?

I am going to chime in and agree with NYWhiz. The Waldorf is miserable and even the food is so out of touch with current palate, I can just imagine the rooms. (I don't stay at hotels so haven't spent much time going through Oyster and I would dread having a look). There are way more interesting places with better appointed rooms.