We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary and Money Advice

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
115 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary and Money Advice

Hi all,

Partner and I are off to New York in 10 days and very excited! Staying around the Times Square area. However, not had a lot of time to plan our itinerary as we've both been so busy lately. We've tried to put together a few things we want to do for the 5 nights that we are there. I'll try and give a little more information with regards to the money side of things too - we're both in our twenties and love making the most of a night (not drinking ridiculously mind, but going out for 4 of the nights and a few drinks each at bars/clubs plus wine with meals), we've already paid for our tickets for Wicked and we're buying our ESB and TOTR combined ice skating tickets before we go. We would like to eat in a restaurant each night with maybe one slightly higher end meal (nothing more than $70 each). We've not got breakfast included at the hotel but would like to visit some diners. Lunch may be a mix of deli food one day, and a pizza place or something similar the next. We're planning on getting the subway from JFK. We both want to do a little bit of shopping but mainly souvenirs/gifts for home. So far we're budgeting $1700 each. Does this sound OK? I'm aware that everybody's different but just want confirmation that hopefully we won't be tight on money - I have tried to look at prices as much as possible!

Here is what we've planned so far:

Tuesday

Hopefully get in NYC for 3pm ish.

Top of the rock before dusk.

Times Square

Wednesday

Statue of Liberty

9/11 memorial

Greenwich village

The Spotted Pig for lunch

Chinatown/Little Italy

Times Square at night

Thursday

Central Park

Boathouse for lunch

Upper East Side e.g. Bloomingdales

Roosevelt Island Cable

Pre-theatre Dinner - any suggestions here?

Show 8pm Wicked Gershwin theatre

Friday

Grand Central

Shopping around this area?

Brooklyn Bridge/Dumbo area

Wall St

Gramercy park area

Butter for dinner

Empire state building at night

Saturday

Ice skating at the Rockefeller

Upper Westside

River Park walk

Sunday

Maybe visit Central Park again. We only fly late at night so we've got nearly a full day to fill but think I'd like to leave this free in case there's anywhere else we want to revisit!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
34 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary and Money Advice

Hi, we are just back from a week in New York with our family, we also stayed in the Times Square area and found it really convenient . We found a diner on 45th street called the Cranberry diner, it was fantastic, great food at great prices. The easy way to find it is to find the Swarch shop corner in Times Square and head down the street and its on your left. You queue up order your food and eat upstairs. We also find the EZ diner on Btoadway between 49 th and 50thwhich had a good range but no seating, handy for a take out sandwich.

I think 1700 each is plenty of money for five days. I suggest going online before you go and check out sales for any if the big stores so you can plan which day to go to them. I know Maceys had a big sale when we were thre and you could also download a voucher for a further 20% and then the visitor discount so we saved a fortune:) I meant the Swatch shop!

Center Moriches...
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary and Money Advice

When are you coming? Wednesday looks a bit busy as SOL can take 3-5 hours by itself. I assume you have booked the 9/11 tickets. You'll be on a schedule for that and still have the Village, Chinatown, Spotted Pig, Times Square. Guess you see it now. And the butter for dinner, really, really has to go. Think you meant buffet.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
115 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary and Money Advice

Thanks for your replies.

Oatfield - thanks for the information on the diner. We're staying on 44th street so shouldn't be too far away. Will definitely check out the store sales!

Chris B - we're travelling on Tuesday 8th so just a little more than 10 days actually (long day!). Haven't booked 9/11 tickets yet but it's on my weekend to-do list. Should have mentioned, SOL is literally just seeing it for photo opportunities really, we aren't too fussed about going up there. We're just planning to take the free ferry.

Butter is this place: http://www.butterrestaurant.com/ had heard good reviews... should I not believe the hype?

Center Moriches...
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary and Money Advice

That's a relief. Butter gets good reviews. Think your plan looks busy and fun. Bring your walking shoes.

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
11,198 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary and Money Advice

Almost all NYC restaurants have their menus and prices outside, so you know what you're getting into with regards to price before you actually go in. Remember that these prices don't include tax and tip.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
7,899 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary and Money Advice

Butter is legit...really good food, go for it !!!!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
7,899 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary and Money Advice

Also, Most stores such at lord & taylor, Macy's etc offer discount to tourist. Remember to ask for it when you enter.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
115 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Itinerary and Money Advice

Brilliant - glad we haven't made a mistake with planning Butter! Thanks for all the shop discount ideas will check about those.

Does $1700 each sound OK with the sort of things we want to do?

Center Moriches...
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Itinerary and Money Advice

Stating the obvious here, but won't you have a debit card as a backup, or is this for budgeting purposes? $1700 should be plenty, but you know how we all get sometimes.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,038 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Itinerary and Money Advice

I'm assuming that the $1700 doesn't include your lodging costs. If so, $1700 should be fine. Considering that 7-day metrocards are only $31 ($6 for each day your here). You can get some amazing high quality dinners+drinks+desert for $75 each. So I would think your $350/day budget is more than enough. That's plenty of money for shows or concerts or shopping left over.

Shawn

http://nytourguy.blogspot.com/

http://instagram.com/nytourguy

Edited: 28 March 2014, 17:58