We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Subway from LaGuardia to Times Square

Nova Scotia, Canada
Level Contributor
148 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
Subway from LaGuardia to Times Square

I'm trying to do some planning using the subway. Does anyone know from where I would be departing at LaGuardia Airport? I'll be arriving from Canada. With the subway planner, there are a number of options but I don't know LaGuardia. From where would I depart LaGuardia: Airport? Central Terminal? Main Terminal?

Thanks for your help!

JR

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Subway from LaGuardia to Times Square

It is very easy. Are you flying Air Canada?

It would be easier to answer your question if I knew whether you were flying Delta / WestJet or Air Canada.

Nova Scotia, Canada
Level Contributor
148 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Subway from LaGuardia to Times Square

Air Canada. Appreciate the input!

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Subway from LaGuardia to Times Square

Air Canada is in the Central Terminal Building so it is very very easy. Go downstairs to baggage claim (lower level). There are New York City Transit (MTA) MetroCard Vending Machines located nearby. Just ask an airport employee if you have any difficulty finding them. I know exactly where they are and I see them all the time but don't worry if you have to ask somebody - it really isn't that complicated of an airport.

There is one single bus stop for the Central Terminal Building. The MetroCard Vending Machines are just inside from the bus stop (and the bus stop is just outside the door from the Vending Machines).

You can purchase a pay-per-ride MetroCard or an unlimited ride card. Unlimited is $30. for 7 days of unlimited rides (plus $1.00 for the card). The pay-per-ride can be as little as $5.00 (plus $1.00 for the card). It is a free transfer from the bus to the subway (and vice versa).

The total cost for LaGuardia to Times Square is $2.50 even though you take a short bus ride to the nearby subway.

The Q.70 Limited is a brand new - very fast and frequent bus. You'll board at The Central Terminal Bldg and the very next stop will be the 74th Street / Jackson Heights subway station. It takes less than 10 minutes (sometimes 6 - 7 minutes).

You'll swipe your card again and it will say "1 x-fer okay"

You'll have the choice of the Manhattan bound E express and Manhattan bound F express. The E train will stop at 42nd Street Port Authority Bus Terminal (8th Avenue) one block west of Times Square. The F train will stop at 42nd Street Bryant Park (one block of east of Times Square). You'll also have the choice of the R local train - it stops at the main 42nd Street Times Square subway station.

None of the hotels are right at the main Times Square subway station so please let us know exactly which hotel and we'll tell you which subway will get you closest.

The total trip is about 40 - 45 minutes and it is very very easy and extremely safe and secure.

Nova Scotia, Canada
Level Contributor
148 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Subway from LaGuardia to Times Square

Fantastic details! Thanks so much! I'm going to the Sheraton Times Square.

Nova Scotia, Canada
Level Contributor
148 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Subway from LaGuardia to Times Square

Is there also a train option above ground? Thanks.

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Subway from LaGuardia to Times Square

There are no trains above ground anywhere near the Sheraton.

You can take the M.60 bus instead of the Q.70 bus and this transfers to the N & Q trains at 31st Street / Astoria Blvd - the subway station there is above ground however all subways will be underground by the time they reach the hotel.

The M.60 bus stops at exactly the same place as the Q.70.

The E train stops literally outside the front door of the Sheraton - that's the 7th Avenue (53rd Street) subway station. You come upstairs from the subway and you're outside the front door of the hotel. The Q.70 one stop from LaGuardia to the very busy 74th Street / Jackson Heights subway station where you pick up the Manhattan bound E train five stops to the 7th Avenue (53rd Street) station.

If you want to take the M.60 bus to the elevated N & Q train at Astoria Blvd (31st Street), you can. Then take the N or Q train (any train heading to Manhattan) to 57th Street station (exit toward the front for the 55th Street exit) and walk two short blocks down to your hotel.

Very easy and very safe - plenty of people around if you have any questions.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,753 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Subway from LaGuardia to Times Square

It might help us to know the exact location of your destination. Some lodgings describe themselves as near Times Square when they are some distance from the actual Times Square.

-- Steve

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
11,884 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Subway from LaGuardia to Times Square

The Sheraton Times Square is a good example of a hotel that has "Times Square" in its name but isn't particularly near Times Square itself. That's not a bad thing, though.

Ontario
Level Contributor
342 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Subway from LaGuardia to Times Square

Excellent details!!

can you do the same for me. We are a group of 6 flying Delta from Canada going to Hotel St.James at Times Square.

Thanks in advance for the help on how to get to our hotel

Edited: 30 March 2014, 16:24
New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Subway from LaGuardia to Times Square

The St. James is at 109 West 45th Street so not really right in Times Square either but close enough.

Delta is the largest carrier at New York LaGuardia and they have gates at both Terminal C and Terminal D. The Q.70 stops at both however the main MetroCard Vending Machines are at the Central Terminal Building (near Air Canada baggage claim).

The news agents at LaGuardia sell MetroCards. The question is whether each of you plans to purchase a 7-day unlimited ride MetroCard for $30.00 or whether you plan to use pay-per-ride MetroCards. The news agents sell these things and they actually do *not* charge the $1.00 fee you'd pay if you were purchasing them from a machine. yes - counterintuitive. You'd expect to pay a surcharge when purchasing from a third party and you'd expect a savings when purchasing directly from the MTA - I've never figured out the "why" here.

Up to four people can share a pay-per-ride MetroCard so if you're going that route, you'd need two cards for six people.

Worst case scenario, say you can't get what you need from the news agent. The Port Authority has plenty of free buses connecting the terminals. You simply board a free bus from Terminal C or D to Terminal B (the Central Terminal Bldg). It is a small / compact airport (compared to Toronto Pearson YYZ). The free terminal bus driver will take you to the MetroCard Vending Machines (you'll just need to walk inside - the bus won't go inside the bldg. - obviously)

Take the Q.70 right to the subway (next stop after the airport). Get a Manhattan bound F express train to Rockefeller Center - exit toward the front of the train for 47th Street. Walk against traffic (vehicular traffic on Sixth Avenue goes uptown only - you need to walk two short blocks downtown). Hang a right on West 45th and voila, there's the St. James.

Note that if you are using pay-per-ride MetroCards, you'll get free transfers from the bus to the subway (and vice versa). The free transfers are automatically stored on the card. Say you swipe both MetroCards three times on the bus (versus 4 & 2) - when you get to the subway, you'll swipe each card only once and it will allow however many people were swiped on the bus on that card to go through that entry. Do not swipe any MetroCard more than once when making the transfer from the bus to the subway.

Please let us know if you have any questions.