We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

delayed flight 2008

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
303 posts
Save Topic
delayed flight 2008

My daughter and I went to NY 30th April 2008, we had 4 hour delay on outbound flight from Manchester to Newark, Continental Airlines 101. Has anyone made a claim for this flight. Any info would be much appreciated.

Long Island
Level Contributor
1,660 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: delayed flight 2008

Seriously? That was 6 years ago. Don't really know what you want at this point.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
303 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: delayed flight 2008

6 years is not the issue, my question was had anyone claimed for this delayed flight, yes seriously.

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,913 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: delayed flight 2008

Claimed what?

In my history of flying 4 hours is zero, zip, negligible, are you looking for monetary compensation?

Seems a bit daft at this point in time!

Delays happen every day - what makes this one unique?

Good luck.......for whatever you are seeking.

Poppa

Edited: 29 March 2014, 20:32
North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,946 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: delayed flight 2008

The odds are not in your favor.

Ohio
Level Contributor
8,541 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: delayed flight 2008

We had a flight cancelled and spent the night sleeping on the floor in a terminal at JFK. I got a tiny blanket as compensation. What exactly are you hoping to gain at this point?

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
303 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: delayed flight 2008

Its not unique, but EU legislation deems it unacceptable for delays in certain circumstances to or from an EU country, originally you could go back as far as 2005, but I think you can go back further.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
303 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: delayed flight 2008

Rassi, its 600 euros per person.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: delayed flight 2008

<<my question was had anyone claimed for this delayed flight, yes seriously.>>

Claim what?

4 hrs isn't a big deal especially with a direct flight when you didn't miss a connection. I've had a couple of delays longer than that flying to Europe.

If it's a EU 'rule' of some sort you should be posting on your Manchester Forum or an EU Forum. What about the 'Air Travel Forum'?

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i10702-Air_Trav…

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: delayed flight 2008

I actually am very familiar with the EU rules.

The application of these rules as far as U.S. flag carriers are concerned is not what you seem to think.

Newark Airport is a very challenging airport due to the nature of the runway configuration. Spring thunderstorms very routinely result in lengthy delays to flights similar to what you experienced.

The U.S. airlines do not compensate for weather delays and U.S. law protects the U.S. carriers from having to compensate for weather related delays. U.S. carriers are only required to compensate when the matter is related to maintenance / mechanical / crew, etc. Even then, the compensation is minimal at best - you may get a $25.00 USD voucher for future travel. No U.S. carrier is going to pay you 600 Euro - it simply won't happen. The U.S. carriers would drop a route if any EU country forced them to pay such an amount - it would make serving that route from Newark unprofitable. You're not going to get even one Euro. Sorry.

BA has had to cancel a lot of LHR JFK flights this winter due to snow - no compensation.

Woodbury, New York
Level Contributor
1,816 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: delayed flight 2008

good info MoreF!

4 hrs is a short break in terms of airport delays. Hopefully it'd cost more than it's worth to even chase such a frivolous claim.