We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotels by queens college nearby bus or subway, no car

Mililani, Hawaii
Level Contributor
23 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Hotels by queens college nearby bus or subway, no car

My son will be attending Queens College in the fall and we are looking for a hotel that is reasonably priced nearby the college, close to a bus line and/or subway line. Not sure if I can have everything I'm looking for but it doesn't hurt to ask and gather as much information as possible.

1. Not sure if I'll be coming int LGA or JFK (Coming from Honolulu), but want somewhat decent hotel near the Queens College area with a bus line/subway line to get to the college and nearby shopping to pick up necessities.

2. No car, so must rely on public transportation only. Will want to travel to Manhattan for a day trip, so near subway would be great. I don't know anything about this area and where a good place to pick up needed college living items. Is there a walmart, target, Ross's, a mall nearby? What supermarket is closet to Queens college?

I hope I'm making sense. Just looking for some good ideas, tips, etc.... Never been to Queens College, so trying to educate myself before we travel clear across the USA from Oahu.

Looking forward to anyone's input.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,734 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotels by queens college nearby bus or subway, no car

HI! Queens College is NOT located near a subway line. When you go there--or live near there you take a bus to the subway.

I would suggest you look to stay in downtown Flushing. You want something where the map shows it to be a block or so from Main Street. There are buses that go up Main Street OR Kissena Blvd. to the college. You do NOT want a hotel in Bayside or at LaGuardia airport. ( but some hotels that say LGA are NOT really there)

There is loads of shopping in down town Flushing so you will be able to get whatever is needed. There is also a Kohls a short bus ride away from the school. No Walmarts in NYC and never heard of Ross.

Bangor, Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Lancaster
Level Contributor
2,696 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotels by queens college nearby bus or subway, no car

There are no Ross's in theNew York metro area. It appears the nearest are in Princeton NJ

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
8,260 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotels by queens college nearby bus or subway, no car

I agree with rdglady. You stay in downtown Flushing, where there's a Macy's, a Target (on College Point Avenue), a bunch of hotels, both LIRR and #7 train stations, and a whole lot of smaller shops, and you take one of the very frequent buses down to Queens College from there.

If you need a larger mall, the closest one is the Queens Center Mall via the Q88 bus, but there are no hotels there. Flushing is the best center with everything.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotels by queens college nearby bus or subway, no car

As rdglady said, staying in downtown Flushing is your best bet. You can get to QC via bus and then you can either hop on the 7 Train or LIRR to get into Manhattan (about 30 mins on 7 train, 15 mins on LIRR).

There's a big shopping center right off of main street that has a Target & Marshall's, which is probably more in the vein of what stores you are looking for.

Look for a Key Foods supermarket...I believe there is one fairly close to the college.

Most of the grocery stores in downtown Flushing are smaller & very focused on Asian specialties, so if you are looking for "dorm snacks" type of food, I would say Key Food or Target is the better choice.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,734 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotels by queens college nearby bus or subway, no car

Close to the college on Main Street is a large Kosher supermarket called Seasons. While you will not find some products you will find most products. It is a 15 -20 minute walk from campus. You quite frequently see groups of people who are probably associated with Queens College. Closer are a number of small deli type of stores that have snack food etc.

Edited: 30 March 2014, 15:25
Mililani, Hawaii
Level Contributor
23 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotels by queens college nearby bus or subway, no car

I want to thank you all for the input. I was looking at a couple of hotels the Parc Hotel in Flushing, or the Comfort Inn or Red Roof Inn. Which one do you all think is the nicer of the 3? Also, which is is the safest area, as I maybe by myself at night. I will definitely tell my son about Seasons. Is there a Coscto or Sams Club nearby the area?

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
8,260 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotels by queens college nearby bus or subway, no car

We don't have Sam's Club because Sam's Club is Walmart and we don't have Walmart :)

The Parc Hotel is very oriented to Chinese travelers. The Comfort Inn and Red Roof Inn are both very well located, around the corner from each other, near the 7 train and the Target store. I think they're two of a kind and I'd just pick the one which gets better reviews.

The nearest Costco is in Rego Park near the Queens Center Mall. You can get there with the Q88 bus from the college, but there are no hotels near there.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,485 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotels by queens college nearby bus or subway, no car

While I'm not as knowledgeable about the area as rdglady, I do know the Holiday Inn Express LGA is a better hotel than either of the 2 you're considering..

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g47729-d75804-R…

There will be a new Hyatt Place opening in mid June that should be even better and a 20-25 min. bus ride which is what the others appear to be.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g47729-d5298080…

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
8,260 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotels by queens college nearby bus or subway, no car

The problem with the Holiday Inn Express LGA is that there's no subway or direct access to Manhattan within walking distance. It's on the Q88 smack between the college and the mall, but I wouldn't recommend that hotel to anyone not bringing a car.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,485 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotels by queens college nearby bus or subway, no car

Well those other hotels get pretty poor reviews.