We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Group of irish mother and daughters-April 2014

Belfast
7 posts
Save Topic
Group of irish mother and daughters-April 2014

Hope someone can help and give some advice please.

We are a group of 10 mothers and daughters travelling in April to New York staying at the court st giles for 5 days Monday to Friday. As it is our first time in New York we where looking some advice on possible itinarys taking in all the usual sights of NY and lots of cocktails along the way as we are celebrating big birthdays! I've a few question which would be great if someone could answer.

Possible itinarys?

Will we need to book restaurants at night being a big group?

Any suggestions on cocktail happy hours?

Lively restaurants?

Trendy bars? Or areas to go at nite?

Would like one day shopping possibly Woodbury common or equivalent?

Spa day/ morning?

Thank you for you time I will post a review when we return.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Group of irish mother and daughters-April 2014

You will need to advise what you would like to see/do. There really is no "usual sights." Many people like to see different things.

Take a look at the FAQ's on the right: things to do/see and just update with what is a must see/like to see.

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,913 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Group of irish mother and daughters-April 2014

A reminder - the drinking age in NYC is 21 years old - NO EXCEPTIONS!

Suggest you pick up a guide book for the City - most have sample itineraries.

Nightlife - the Meatpacking District or Greenwich Village!

Lively restaurants - not sure what that means!

Anyway - check the Top Questions for NYC to the right of these posts on a standard computer - not a handheld device for may answers you may have.....

Poppa

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,172 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Group of irish mother and daughters-April 2014

What age groups?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,485 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Group of irish mother and daughters-April 2014

All daughters over age 21? They will need to be to be able to drink.

So, it is a total of 10 people, right? All with the same interests and want to be together the entire time you are here?

Has everyone had a go at a guidebook (moms and daughters) to choose some places they particularly want to see?

The more I read the forums, I do begin to see a tendency to some "usual" sights as everyone seems to have pretty much the same ones on their list: Statue of Liberty, Top of Empire State Building, Brooklyn Bridge, etc - but, there are hundreds of choices and making it a trip suited to your own interests and tastes will probably be a better trip - sure, go to the "usual" but there is so much more to NYC and a guidebook is a good resource as it the internet, blogs, etc.

Other than the spa, shopping and cocktails, you give no clues as what people in your group enjoy - music, theater, museums, photograph, dance performances, comedy, etc -

This is just one source for what will be on when you are here - (not a guidebook with history/background on sites, etc) - a magazine (you probably have as well) that let's you know which musicians are playing and where, theater, art exhibits, etc

Belfast
7 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Group of irish mother and daughters-April 2014

Thank you for the tip I'm new to this! We would like to see

Statue of Liberty, not sure if it's worth going into if we will spend too long in queues. We would be happy just seeing it in passing.

Ground zero

Top of the rock

Empire State

Central Park

Little italy

China town

Meat packing district?

Grand central station

We r open to suggestions too

Oh also irish bars

We are all over 21! we are celebrating a 30th 40th and 50th birthday so yes we have a wide range of ages we all would like to stay together we have looked a guide books and are abut overwhelmed with the choice of sights and things to do and was wanting some advice which the books don't give. Reguarding what I mean by lively restaurants sorry I ment just some were with a lively atmosphere, music.

Thank you

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,172 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Group of irish mother and daughters-April 2014

Ground zero = 9/11 Memorial

http://www.911memorial.org/

Belfast