We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

TR 8 days, 4 children, 2 parents, 1 nanny, Our Big Adventure

Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
35 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
TR 8 days, 4 children, 2 parents, 1 nanny, Our Big Adventure

First and foremost a big thank you to everybody who posts here. I used this forum to plan our trip and had all my questions answered. Initially we had planned to stay in an apartment in Brooklyn Bed Stuy, but changed our plans after strong advice on the forum.

We are a family of 6, mam, dad, 16yo, 12yo, 9yo sons and 14yo daughter, also my mother 79yo came with us. The reason for this trip was my husband had a life long wish to march in the St Patricks day parade, so we combined this with a family holiday. The first hiccup was before we left when I realised that the St Patricks Day Parade was on Monday 17th and not on the Saturday as my OH had told me when we booked the flights, consequently we were booked to travel home on March 17th late flight. It was too late and expensive to change. Also originally my mother was not travelling but decided to come when her 83yo friend told her she was heading to Australia, she reckoned she could manage 6 hours on a plane if her friend could handle the trip down under. so we ended up heading to New York on March 10th-17th, staying in The Crowne Plaza Hotel Times Square. We used last minute travel club to book the hotel and got a good deal.

Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
35 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: TR 8 days, 4 children, 2 parents, 1 nanny, Our Big Adventure

Mariaht83, I would recommend a minimum of three hours at the Intrepid, we were there when it opened at 10am so it wasnt too crowded so we werent under pressure walking around. They offer different packages depending on what you want to see we chose the intrepid and the space shuttle but didnt bother with concorde. the submarine experience is included in the basic price. So really it will depend on the amount of attractions you want to see. We highly recommend it.

Day three

We were all up and out early as we had booked the Statue of Liberty cruise at 10.00. We had breakfast at the Evergreen Diner on 47th st between 6th and 7th ave. It was really good good, tasty and quick. The children loved eating out for breakfast, it is such a novelty for them as at home its a bowl of cereal and toast and off to school. We were lucky that the weather although a tad cold was fine and dry. Coming from Ireland where it rains a lot that was an advantage. I was taken aback at the amount of security checks going to the Statue of Liberty, we were all checked before we went on the ferry and then again before we went up the pedestal. The journey on the ferry was great, looling back at Manhattan and then pulling up to the Statue of Liberty. We really enjoyed the exhibition and the audio tours were free so your learnt a lot. However the kids again flew through the exhibition and were up and down from the pedestal in no time. Over to Ellis island we had been here on a previous visit to New York and loved it however a lot of the exhibitions are not there due to the storm. It was really disappointing, they have an audio tour set up but this did not make up for the original exhibitions. Then it was back to manhattan we walked up to broadway and took some photos of the big bull. My 14yo was more ionmterested in the very good looking NYPD officer who happily posed for a photo. He said it was his public duty!! we used a free map from the Downtown Alliance which had all off the downtown must see's highlighted. Also a voulnteer recommended a Traders Express for lunch. This place was fantastic the sandwiches were huge and filling and it was really cheap. Ordering food in these places was so confusing as I was usually trying to get the kids to make up their mind quickly, we just dont have the same selection at home. After this we headed to St Pauls Church, there was a choir singing and it was beautiful just sit and rest and listen while we recharged the batteries. The 9/11 memorial was next, we all found this a very moving place. We went to the Trinity Church next and this helped the children understand the true disaster of 9/11, they watched the short programme and looked at all the photos and messages. This was my daughters favourite place in New York. More retail therapy then in Century 21, a walk to the woolworth buiding but visitors are not allowed in which was disappointing as i had read about the foyer. At this stage everybodys feet were really sore and it was getting late so back to the hotel and dropped of the bags and headed out to Rays pizza, the other three children felt deprived as they had missed out on the first night. We walked around Times Square again. We were constantly amazed at the blend of people, every style, type, different languages all coming together. The children were fascinated by all the different characters.

Day four

Breakfast in the Evergreen Diner again and off to Jersey Gardens. I had been here before and knew it had all the shops that the children were looking for to spend their dollars. All you need to survive this day is patience, energy, a deaf ear at times, diplomacy and regular stops for coffee. Needless to say everybody shopped and spent lots of dollars, as i said previously the children ahd their own money so had to work out what they wanted to spend their money on. My 16yo brought my mother with him around the shops, he did really well it pays to have nanny on board. Today was the coldest day so glad we were indoors. We headed back to the hotel late that evening. At this stage the boys room was like a bomb had hit it with shopping bags and clothes everywhere, I beat a hasty retreat into the girls room, turned on the TV and munched on the hersheys cookies and cream, happy days. My mother was holding up great, she didnt mind the walking and was really enjoying herself. As you can imagine all of us living in such close quarters was not palin sailing but better than I had anticipated.

San Frantastic
Level Contributor
947 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: TR 8 days, 4 children, 2 parents, 1 nanny, Our Big Adventure

This TR is awesome! The part about the Xanax totally cracked me up. :-) Please let me know if you ever come to San Francisco so I can roam around with you and your family.

Scotland
Level Contributor
241 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: TR 8 days, 4 children, 2 parents, 1 nanny, Our Big Adventure

Loving your report - your poor lad, so glad he's managed to enjoy it and not let it hamper him. Looking forward to reading about the rest of the trip :o)

London, United...
Level Contributor
468 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: TR 8 days, 4 children, 2 parents, 1 nanny, Our Big Adventure

Fab trip report, great details! Such a dramatic start, you must have been thinking it would spoil your holiday but I'm very glad it didn't. I'm picking up lots of details for my own trip with teenagers. Where did you get the Downtown Alliance map please? Also, a very small request. Would it be possible to break up into paragraphs as the large blocks of text are a little difficult to read? Nitpicking, I know, but I'm so enjoying reading the TR.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
106 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: TR 8 days, 4 children, 2 parents, 1 nanny, Our Big Adventure

Loving this trip report, so funny. Glad to hear that your son was okay after the accident and thank goodness you had insurance!

How was Jersey Gardens? Is it worth the trip there? We're a shopaholic couple of 27 years old and like the idea of getting the shopping done in one day in one place. We've heard that some stores don't stock common sizes, was this the case?

Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, West Virginia
Level Contributor
9,343 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: TR 8 days, 4 children, 2 parents, 1 nanny, Our Big Adventure

Enjoying this TR very much! And what a start!! My daughter and I stayed at Crowne Plaza when we were in NYC two years ago...we liked it very much.

Looking forward to more.......

Kirkcaldy, United...
Level Contributor
120 posts
295 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: TR 8 days, 4 children, 2 parents, 1 nanny, Our Big Adventure

Loving your report! Your family sound great fun, well done granny for keeping up!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,111 posts
Save Reply
18. Re: TR 8 days, 4 children, 2 parents, 1 nanny, Our Big Adventure

Pizza, M&Ms and other goodies can take the sting out of all sorts of traumas just a bit.

I'm so glad you emphasized the travel insurance; I am still gobsmacked when people tell me they travel out of the country without it (and in the country) - given the prices of everything and medical care that often is covered by someone's primary insurance. Always pleased to see it mentioned - but, of course, sorry, you had to make use of it within such a short time after arrival.

Thanks for writing it all up -

Edited: 31 March 2014, 20:54
Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
677 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: TR 8 days, 4 children, 2 parents, 1 nanny, Our Big Adventure

Thanks so much for the info on the intrepid, its great to know or at least have an idea. We will most likely be doing pretty much what you did and leaving the concord as we have one just down the road in Manchester. I'm so glad you all had a great time, my son is more excited to go to the intrepid than anything else haha

The report just keeps getting better and loving all the info so thank you so much. We are also booked for the 10am slot for SOL and was interesting reading about your experience. I have a feeling my son will be very similar to your children.

It's such a shame Ellis island is still only partly opened as really looking forward to visiting as I've not before but know my family name is there. Maybe more will be open when I visit which is in August, so still a bit of time.

Thanks again and looking forward to reading more x

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
7,982 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: TR 8 days, 4 children, 2 parents, 1 nanny, Our Big Adventure

Mariaht83 Although Ellis Island is closed, the 9/11 Museum will be open and is definitely worth checking.

https:/…visit-911-memorial-museum-0

Edited: 31 March 2014, 22:37