We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

After 5 pm on Sunday Downtown

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
19,896 posts
208 reviews
Save Topic
After 5 pm on Sunday Downtown

Two in my party will be heading to the 9/11 memorial at about 4:30. I was there last month, so I opted not to go.

I am finding that most of the museums are closed at 5. I thought of going to the Hell's Kitchen Flea, but by the time I get there it will be less than half an hour before closing.

Any ideas? We are meeting for dinner in Greenwich Village at about 6:30. I have two hours to myself.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
15,957 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: After 5 pm on Sunday Downtown

There is Stone Street with places to kill some time with a coffee or drink if you wanted to wait for your party nearby. It's a very historic area. Fraunces Tavern is a very historic place.

Or you could just go up to the Village and wait for them there. It's nice to walk around Bleecker St as well as the side streets with lovely townhomes. Washington Square Park is good for people watching or just to sit for a while before moving on again.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
7,924 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: After 5 pm on Sunday Downtown

Stone Street is a good area to kill a few hours for sure.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,896 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: After 5 pm on Sunday Downtown

OK, thanks for the ideas.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,474 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: After 5 pm on Sunday Downtown

Stone st. Is just restaurants and bars. I'd go shopping.;). I'd head to Union Square for Nordstrom Rack, DSW for shoes etc. You can walk into the village from there. Or if you like perusing books, the Strand bookstore is there too. The Market on Bleecker st. Is open til 8.

themarketnyc.com/themarketnyc/WELCOME_to_The…

Another idea is to take a roundtrip on the Staten Island ferry.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,896 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: After 5 pm on Sunday Downtown

I did think of the Staten Island ferry--would I have enough time? How long does it take to catch the ferry, and take it there and back?

Shopping is also a good thought, but I'll be doing some of that on Monday (thought the crowds might be lessened after the weekend).

I love food shopping, and the HK Flea seemed like something I would enjoy but the guys in my group would hate. Right before we split up we'll be walking across the Brooklyn Bridge. Seems crazy that the Brooklyn Flea is further than the HK flea. But there you are.

6. Re: After 5 pm on Sunday Downtown

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 April 2015, 06:16