We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I miss New York! March 2014 Trip Report

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
27 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
I miss New York! March 2014 Trip Report

It's been over a week since I left New York City but I'm still reading the forums and looking through my NYC pictures nearly every day so I thought I'd write up a trip report :) I love reading trip reports, especially those with a lot of detail, so apologies in advance if I ramble on. I might add quick summaries for those that don’t want all of the details lol.

A bit of background before I start: My fiancé and I are from Sydney and we travelled to NYC for 7 days in early March. It was my second time to visit NYC and his first, and despite the fact that being Sydney-siders we had never been so cold in our lives, we had the most amazing week and ticked off so many things from our to-do list. Anyway, on to the trip report…

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
27 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: I miss New York! March 2014 Trip Report

For those asking for a link to the pictures, I can't seem to find the link to the whole online gallery as I just downloaded the file with all of the full sized photos. Here's a link though to a mini-collage of some of my favourite shots that I had saved on my phone, much easier than trawling through 180+ of our photos anyway :P

…photobucket.com/albums/p796/pastelsandpink/…

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
7,846 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: I miss New York! March 2014 Trip Report

Thanks for the pics. Hope you are enjoying California and the sun :)

Hervey Bay...
Level Contributor
3,747 posts
373 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: I miss New York! March 2014 Trip Report

Yay, a new trip report! How good is the phototrek tour?! We loved it too, Marc is great.

As the others have said, please ramble away. The longer the better I say.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
15,432 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: I miss New York! March 2014 Trip Report

Great pictures, a great way to keep your memories.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
27 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: I miss New York! March 2014 Trip Report

Thank you idrinkwater and Aynat62 :) Ktsnowowl, the PhotoTrek was amazing and I'm so glad I booked it. I agree, Marc is great!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
27 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: I miss New York! March 2014 Trip Report

Got some spare time so I’ll continue with the trip report..

DAY 3: SATURDAY

(Summary: NBA Knicks v Bucks game at Madison Square Garden, tried the waffles at Wafels and Dinges, even more shopping, plenty of rambling)

(Mini collage: http://i1351.photobucket.com/albums/p796/pastelsandpink/NYC2014_Day3_zpse1dc60c9.jpg.html)

Going the extra mile with the details and adding mini collages to go with each day! I love writing this trip report because it’s helping me re-live my NYC memories :)

On Day 3 we had a bit of a sleep-in and had the free muffins that they serve at Yotel for breakfast. The blueberry muffins were really good! After scoffing down our breakfast and again taking a few minutes to just stare out of our bedroom window at the beautiful view, we quickly got ready to watch the 12pm New York Knicks v Milwaukee Bucks NBA game at Madison Square Garden.

Unfortunately this was the lowlight of the week as there was a little bit of a hiccup with our tickets – fiancé had purchased courtside seats from a re-seller company and they didn’t tell us that the tickets had been reissued or something so when we tried to enter the tickets were coming up as already scanned. We had to wait for quite awhile until one of their staff came to Madison Square Garden to give us the reissued tickets and we didn’t get inside until just before half time :(

Once we were seated though, it was pretty cool getting to watch the game from courtside seats and being able to have our food brought to our seats, just like in the movies :P We were also seated beside a lovely New Yorker who introduced herself to us and gave us tips about things to do and see in New York. Quite a few Americans (as in both in NYC and California) have stopped to chat with us like that over the past three weeks that we’ve been here once they hear we’re from Australia which I think is really nice! More than a few people here in America have also stopped and gone out of their way to ask if we want them to take our picture for us when they’ve seen us struggling to take a “couples selfie” which I also think is really lovely. I was initially wary of handing my camera over after watching a certain episode of Mr. Bean (where he asks a passerby to take a picture of him and the passerby keeps telling Mr. Bean to turn around until his back is eventually faced to the camera, and then the passerby runs off with it), but I got over it quickly hehe.

A little tip for couples or groups struggling to get everyone in the photo – we tried to pass on the abovementioned kindness by offering other people if they wanted us to take their photo for them if ever we saw a couple/group trying to take a photo for them.. and then in turn they would thank us and offer to take photos of us too! Worked out well for everyone :) Whoops, this is that rambling I said to watch out for.

After the NBA game finished, we decided to explore the shops surrounding Madison Square Garden. You’ll notice in my posts that we like to shop lol, especially since everything is so cheap in America compared to Australia. We headed to Macy’s but across the road I noticed the Wafels and Dinges cart that I had read about on TripAdvisor, so we stopped to have a snack to fuel up for more shopping. We had the Belgian waffles topped with ice cream, chocolate, “Spekuloos spread” which from memory is like gingerbread cookie spread, and strawberries. They were delicious! I’m usually disappointed every time I try non-Max-Brenner waffles but these were really good :) The sun was out so we got to sit at the tables in the little courtyard and people watch for a bit before entering Macy’s where I picked up a few more things for myself, including a cute new pair of boots.

Another encounter with a New Yorker that made my day – the lady at the register offered me a further discount if I signed up for a Macy’s card but when she found out that I wasn’t eligible because I wasn’t a US resident, she said it was alright and that she would give me the further 20% off anyway! So nice of her.

After a bit more shopping we decided we were tired and hungry so we caught the subway back to our hotel. Also managed to take a few snaps of Times Square while walking from the subway to the hotel. After dumping all of our shopping bags in our room we were exhausted and didn’t want to travel too far for dinner so we decided to try this place called ‘Papaya Dog’ down the road from Yotel, where you could get a Philly cheesesteak roll, fries and a soda for something ridiculously cheap like $4.99. The food wasn’t too bad but it wasn’t spectacular either. We walked back to the hotel after dinner and crashed early because we had a full day of exploring scheduled for Sunday (including the Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island, Greenwich Village, the FRIENDS apartment, Carrie’s apartment from SATC etc etc). It might take a few days until the next post though as we’re heading back to Australia soon!

Edited: 02 April 2014, 07:12
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
27 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: I miss New York! March 2014 Trip Report

EDIT: I forgot to add a pic in my last mini collage of the view from our hotel room that I keep talking about – here it is :) I miss waking up to this view! (…photobucket.com/user/pastelsandpink/media/N…)

Edited: 02 April 2014, 16:14
ontario
Level Contributor
266 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: I miss New York! March 2014 Trip Report

Thank you for the report. I had to smile at the picture taking bit. It's my 'thing' when we travel to offer to take photos for others and I do it (too)often. My daughter used to be horrified but she's gotten used to it now. I almost always will have my own semi-expensive camera around my neck so people know I'm not interested in theirs.... although sometimes I will eyeball the really nice ones!! It's kinda cool to think 'my photos' are enjoyed around the world haha!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
27 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: I miss New York! March 2014 Trip Report

Lol! Mo-and-lo, I'm glad it doesn't horrify your daughter anymore, it's a really nice thing to do and I'm sure people really appreciate it!

London
Level Contributor
4 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: I miss New York! March 2014 Trip Report

Please keep it coming - it's great reading this. We're going on Tuesday so all your recommendations are so helpful. We're London-based Kiwis!