We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

talk to me about subway stations with elevators

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
25,643 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
talk to me about subway stations with elevators

Hi all,

I am trying to convince my mobility-impaired other half that we need a trip to NYC and that it will be easiest if he brings a wheel chair for a ride/walk visit. He CAN walk and manage stairs and we manage around home using this technique ... even in old theaters. I am able to manage an empty chair at times when walking is a must

But here's my somewhat sensitive question ... our home subway system is very old and only some stations have elevators. And some of those elevators, specifically the smaller ones that are not "glass" are disgusting. People use them as bathrooms and although they are regularly cleaned the disinfectant scent on top of lingering odors makes even the shortest rides unbearable.

It is only in the last couple of months that I have actually used a subway elevator At home and am wondering if anybody has actually used any of the NYC subway elevators. I think I remember using a very large one at AtlanticAve stop in Brooklyn when directed there by a kind soul helping me find the right exit. But that's it.

Does anybody else have experience?

Mentioned in this post
Brooklyn
Brooklyn
New York
Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: talk to me about subway stations with elevators

I have. Not sue what you are asking? If they are clean? Available?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
15,740 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: talk to me about subway stations with elevators

Avoid them for the same your reason you mentioned, but when you have strollers and wheel chairs, you just have no choice. More so, is that these "conveniences" are few and far between. The system is really not "wheelchair" friendly. Sadly.

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
12,939 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: talk to me about subway stations with elevators

All NYC buses, on the other hand, can accommodate wheelchairs and do so routinely.

Mentioned in this post
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
103,205 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: talk to me about subway stations with elevators

Forget elevators.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,614 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: talk to me about subway stations with elevators

I don't know the answer to how disgusting the subway elevators are.

I have had a partner with walking disabilities in the past, so I can relate :-) He never did agree to use a wheelchair.

Does the wheelchair fold to fit in a taxi trunk?

I'm wondering if there is any way you can still have a great time in NYC without doing a large amount of traveling to different areas. The type of trip where you carefully select a neighborhood, what you would enjoy doing there, and maybe hop in a taxi to get from one area to another, but mostly enjoying a single area per day vs multiple areas in the same day. E.g. a day at the Met, Central Park and a lovely nearby restaurant.

Put me in the right neighborhood, and I can enjoy a weekend without ever leaving it. That's a possibility too, if you wouldn't be too frustrated.

Even if the chair won't fit in a taxi, you could consider booking a car service to your day's destination neighborhood and back.

Of course, buses are an option, but you're on on the forum enough to know that, so I'm thinking your better half will be uncomfortable with the whole chair lift process?

Mentioned in this post
Central Park
Central Park
114,222 Reviews
New York City, NY
Montreal
Level Contributor
2,032 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: talk to me about subway stations with elevators

I often see people with wheelchairs on the buses. It is not a rare occurrence so you won't be looked at weirdly if you choose to go thise route. People automatically get up from the seats where the wheelchair goes. They attach the wheelchair so it does not flying if the bus stops abruptly. I would do this instead of the elevators that are few and far between in the subway. Buses are a great way to see the whole city.

I went with my parents last month and though my mom does not need a wheelchair, she has arthritis and can't walk long distances so we took the buses quite a few times!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
8,267 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: talk to me about subway stations with elevators

Here is some more info

web.mta.info/accessibility/stations.htm

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
25,643 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: talk to me about subway stations with elevators

Thanks all. Yes, I was asking if the elevators (which I know are few and far between) are gross.

Yes, he is reluctant to use the chair ... but he is slowly coming around because he can do more. He doesn't need it all the time. yes, the chair can fold into a taxi trunk quite easily. Admittedly, I have never used a bus in NYC and rarely use them at home. I like the idea of slipping underground to avoid traffic and such.

Mentioned in this post
QQ2
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
8,809 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: talk to me about subway stations with elevators

I have generally only used them only when I had to -- e.g., at a stop in upper Manhattan where it was the only way out of the station. Agree with your perception of grossness. However, recently when I had to switch from the 4 to the R at Atlantic Av in Brooklyn I happened to spot an elevator faster than I spotted any other way to get where I needed to go and tried it and it was fine. Sometimes they are out of service, so if you do use them you should try to check to be sure the ones you will need are working.

Mentioned in this post
Brooklyn
Brooklyn
New York
Queens, NY
Level Contributor
8,949 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: talk to me about subway stations with elevators

The elevators are repulsive. When my daughter was in a stroller we used to call them the "pee-levators." Often the stench would be so strong that one of us would take the kid in the stroller in the elevator, breathing through the mouth, and the other one (the lucky one) would take the stairs. The only exceptions I've found are the elevators at Jamaica and 74th/Roosevelt, which are so heavily used that homeless people don't get a chance to pee in them.

People with wheelchairs in this city use the buses, which are all wheelchair accessible.

Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Queens, NY
The Roosevelt Hotel
The Roosevelt Hotel
9,826 Reviews
New York City, NY