We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paying for hotel..

manchester
Level Contributor
114 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Paying for hotel..

Staying at the hilton Times Square next week, just noticed on the booking confirmation it says total price for 4 nights then says at the bottom payable 15 per cent tax? Do I have to pay that extra, or is that already included, sorry if it seems like a daft question but have a budget for the hotel which did,nt include paying anything else ,thank u ..

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Paying for hotel..

No one can answer that since we cant see your booking confirmation ;-)

Did you book direct with the hotel?

Hotel tax is indeed around 15%

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Paying for hotel..

Agree with above.

If tax is already included, then you are ok If not, the that 15% will be added.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
21,351 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Paying for hotel..

NYC (or any U.S.) hotel prices do not include tax in the rate quote, but some booking sites add it in at the time of booking, especially non-U.S. sites. Even some U.S. sites will add tax at booking time for prepaid reservations.

It's hard to know what your booking site did. How do the numbers add up? If there is line item saying "payable tax" and it is over and above the line item for nightly rate, check the amount that you actually paid (if you prepaid) to see which it was. If you haven't prepaid, then it seems obvious that the rate did not include tax.

Adjust your budget accordingly. If you want to try to find a less expensive hotel, ask for forum help. You'll need to include your exact travel dates, number of people, target budget per night, etc.

Edited: 01 April 2014, 15:17
Saginaw Mi
Level Contributor
468 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Paying for hotel..

We've reserved 2 hotels---trying to get the best deal-- for a Thanksgiving 2014 stay (both cancellable up to 24 hours before arrival) and on the confirmation e-mails they break down the room rate and the taxes per night with the total for the 5 day stay we are staying. If you have a confirmation email from your hotel I'm assuming it will also have such a breakdown on it. If it's just showing the room rate without also showing the tax per night I would think you will be paying extra. Why not email or call your hotel and ask them what the total is for the nights you are staying?

Edited: 01 April 2014, 15:43
Derby, UK
Destination Expert
for Lindos
Level Contributor
7,340 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Paying for hotel..

I booked the Yotel through Booking.com and had confirmations from both the hotel and agent. The Booking.com confirmation gives a total price as advertised on the website, Yotel shows a lower rate but it is plus tax. As above, it seems if you book through an agent they often give a total cost, if you book with the hotel you may need to factor in tax, in addition to the room rate.

manchester
Level Contributor
114 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Paying for hotel..

HI Thank you for all your replies, i booked through booking.com, and it does say at the bottom 14.75 per cent to be added on arrival, i have just cancelled the hilton and booked the Marriot as it worked out cheaper and included breakfast so much better deal..

7. Re: Paying for hotel..

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 April 2015, 05:17