We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A Broadway Baby trip report

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
14,258 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
A Broadway Baby trip report

I arrived last Friday. Alas, I had not left in time to both go to NYC & Co to pick up their discount sheets & make my dinner reservation. At least the weather was warm (50s) & dry so I didn't have any problems. However, I had little time to pick up a ticket. I noticed that A Gentleman's Guide was on the sheet & since it got lots of raves on this board, I decided to see it that night. I then hurried to dinner (which I didn't need to do since a 4 top at the front of the restaurant stayed empty the whole time I was there.) I had dinner at B Smith's. The manager came around to introduce himself but then I seemed to wait for a long while to get a waitress to take my order. It turned out that she was waiting for a companion for me. Apparently, she didn't look at the reservation which was for one. I had a maple bourbon cocktail (note, every restaurant I went to had a maple bourbon cocktail.) I ordered the pineapple wings which were tasty. I then had the Swamp Thang <sic> which was merely OK. It was scallops & shrimp topped with collard greens & the greens had too much of a bitter taste for me. I finished with a mocha mousse made with Belgium chocolate & expresso which was tasty.

I then went to Gentleman. Since I had been rushing, I didn't pay too much attention to where my seat was but, when I got to the seat, I realized it was 7th row aisle on the outside of the center side aisle which is the exact seat I always strive for when I go to the theater. Jefferson Mays was wonderful as expected but Bryce Pinkham (do I have the name right?) as the murdered was nothing but a revelation. In short, this was a wonderful way to start out my weekend of theater!!!

Alas, I tweeked my right knee while I was running around & I have arthritis in my left knee. By the time I walked from the theater on 48th to my hotel on 10th & 42nd, I could barely walk. I got myself into the elevator & luckily my room was right across from the elevator. However, when I tried the electronic key - nothing!! I had a 2nd key but it was locked in the room. I tried several more times & still nothing. I was by then in too much pain to make it down to the garage & over to the lobby so I said to myself "I'll just have to hope someone will get off the elevator & can call the front desk for me." A couple of minutes went by & someone got off the elevator but he didn't speak English!!! I managed to do enough sign language to get him to get someone to come up & they did & I got into my room.

The next morning, my tweeked knee felt OK but my arthritic knee was painful. Luckily, there was a CVS drug store across the street & I got one of those over the counter knee pain wraps. I had breakfast from the deli around the corner & then headed back to NYC & Co because, in all the rushing I dropped my discount sheet. I got another one, plotted the rest of my tickets & gathered them all except for my Sunday night which I had bought in advance as I knew that was a tricky time to get a show.

A couple of notes on gathering these discounts & buying the tickets. I went to buy a ticket to "All the Way" for Saturday evening but there were no discounts available for that code so I ended up going on Saturday afternoon. I went to buy my seat for Motown & there was only one left (more on that later.) That's the problem with discounts. They are only good for certain seats & you may not get in if the discounted seats are gone, you're out of luck. The other interesting factoid was that the discounts were once again from Theatermania. Some of the box office people needed the exact code & some said "I don't need the code from you because I know (or have) that code."

BTW, did I mention it poured rain the whole time I was running around Times Square? I had a hooded water resistant jacket but I got drenched. I stopped at a frozen yogurt place for a light lunch & went to All the Way. I am a history buff & lived through the Kennedy assassination & LBJ's presidency so this was interesting to me. It was excellently acted (I'm not a Breaking Bad fan so I didn't know the lead) by all including Bryan Cranston, John McMartin, Michael McKean & Martin Vidnovic.

I went to dinner at Benares. The service was wonderful & the food was excellent. I had lamb kebobs for an appetizer & more lamb in a creamy ginger sauce for an entrée. My only problem is that it is like Carmines in that they serve every thing in a big bowl so there was way to much food. Next time I"ll either invite my friends or make a meal of appetizers.

Off to Motown. I spent my summers in Detroit as my maternal grandmother lived there & we visited every summer. When the Supremes made it big nationally, I didn't consider them a surprise hit as I heard their earlier flop songs on the tv in my grandmother's living room. However, I was a little concerned about getting to my seat as the only seat was in the 1st row of the mezzanine which meant I had to go down stairs with my bad knee & a balance problem (I've always had that.) However, not only did I discover there was a handrail along the wall but, since I was just a couple of seats from the end, I could put my leg out over the edge of the box seat wall & stretch my leg out. The show was wonderful & brought back not only the music but memories of the rise of Motown records. BTW, if you go, spring for the souvenir program. There is not only the usual tons of pictures but a very good several page article written by Barry Gordy Jr on the history of Motown. Of course, with the downpour, I couldn't get a cab so I walked back to the hotel & luckily my knee got me back without much trouble.

Now it is Sunday. I took a cab to the 7th St side of Macy's after another deli breakfast. After not seeing any flowers, I decided to walk through the store & discovered the flower show is in the Broadway side of the store. They also have flowers in the windows on that side of the building. There is an every 30 minute tour of the show but I didn't join in as the crowd was a bit much for me (and this was at 11 on Sunday, I can imagine the mob scene at 2 on Saturday.) However, the narration is loud enough for me to hear parts of what they were saying & a good tip is to go up the stairs to the mezzanine as there are more flowers on the railing side of the mezzanine & a lot of the flowers are about 6 - 7 feet off the ground so you actually get a better sense of them from up top. If you want to go, hurry as it closes Sunday.

Next I went to the Morgan Library. I went to the basement to see a couple of small exhibits & to the top floor to see an exhibition on book making & type setting which was excellent. Before, going through the main floor, I stopped in the café & had their homage to childhood with a grilled cheese & apple sandwich, a green salad & 2 sugar cookies one with gold & one with silver sprinkles. The reason for the theme is their main exhibit was on Sainte-Exupery's Little Prince. BTW, if you go turn left into the room & follow the exhibit in clockwise order.) There was also an exhibit on prints with a Spanish theme (I can't quite remember the premise) & if course, Morgan's Library & Study.

Now for more theater. I went to Mothers & Sons which is the new Terrance McNally play with Tyne Daly. I have a gay couple in my circle of friends who live in the city. I have to tell them not to see the play as part of the theme is the change in gay existence from the AIDS scourge to gay marriage & they are struggling with that later idea right now. It was excellent.

I then took a cab to Minetta's Tavern had a great light supper at the bar. I hadn't been there since it was an upscale spaghetti joint. I had 2 appetizers a tuna himachi & a green asparagus salad and ended with a dark chocolate & caramel tart. then saw Love & Information which I'm still processing as it is 56 small disconnected scenes in 2 hours (no intermission) & is quite different. The players appear in a box with a sort of graph paper wallpaper surround & there are blackouts between the scenes with sound teases of what the next scene will be.

All in all except for the sore knee & the drenching rain, not a bad weekend.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,385 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A Broadway Baby trip report

What a great weekend! Good eats and good theater with a few flowers thrown in.;) Thanks for the report. You often mention the NY & Co. sheet. Is it just a compilation of all the codes available?

Edited: 01 April 2014, 17:49
Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A Broadway Baby trip report

Sounds like a great trip, indeed. My wife and I seem to be the onlly people who did not care for Gentleman's Guide. But in any case, have you seen the movie of the same plot, Kinds Hearts and Coronets? That movie has been a favorite of mine for many years.

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
14,258 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A Broadway Baby trip report

I am on vacation now & am using a library computer. I will post an idea of what the codes were all about when I get back to my office. However, I just got an e-mail from TheaterMania & the Broadway discounts looked like what was in the e-mail.

As for the movie version of A Gentlemen's Guide, I have not seen it as I am a live theater junkie & see little in the way of movies, only when a friend asks me to go with them & that doesn't happen that often. As for not liking the stage version, Jefferson Mays does tend to eat the scenery a lot but I was so impressed with the other lead that it didn't bother me.

4. Re: A Broadway Baby trip report

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 April 2015, 05:16