We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

jersey gardens

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
720 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
jersey gardens

Hi everyone.

so as many may know after the endless questions I've asked already, i am travelling to nyc in august for 6days.

i am travelling with my 9yr old son and have so much planned.

i have read recently people mention jersey gardens and was wondering if people would recommend a trip there whilst we're in nyc?

I've looked on their website and i can't believe how many shops are under one roof but i think there's only maybe 15 shops i know id really want to shop in but these stores are in midtown anyway.

so trying to weigh up whether its worth spending a day there or just going into shops as i pass i, midtown.

if the bargains are really that great at the mall then id definitely try make time to go but if its not so much cheaper than midtown and im already saving by shopping in nyc compared to uk then is it worth it?

I do love shopping though lol decision, decisions 😃

thanks so much x

Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
7,889 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: jersey gardens

My experience with outlet malls (and there are 5 of them near Washington, DC), is that:

1) they are all about the same all over the country;

2) their merchandise is not "seconds" of their real stuff, but inferior products made for the outlet mall;

3) compared to the small stores all over NYC, they are really dull and a waste of your vacation time.

There are clothing shops all over the area east of Penn Station, the Lower East Side, 86th and Lexington, in Soho on Broadway. Others here can point you to many neighborhoods with lots of interesting clothing and other stuff. The area on Broadway north of 16 St, like where Fishs Eddy, the kitchenware store is, is good, too. As is 14th St from 6th to 3rd Avenue. As is....(almost every block in every neighborhood).

If you are here for a very long time, it might be worth half a day, but if your trip is less than 5 days, it's really not worth it. And it's not all that easy to get to because it is in another state, and there may not be many bus connections to it.

Others may have differing opinions..

Mentioned in this post
Washington DC
Washington DC
District of Columbia
Fishs Eddy
Fishs Eddy
New York
Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
720 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: jersey gardens

Thanks so much that is really helpful and you raise some really good points.

thanks for the tips on places in Manhattan to shop, I've taken note 😊

x

Central Village...
Level Contributor
18,057 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: jersey gardens

I second northofdc's sentiments - small shops in Manhattan can't be beat and even larger stores, i.e.. Macy's - it is always an adventure to browse through their various departments........have fun whatever you choose to do!

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
720 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: jersey gardens

Aw thanks.

i think ill stick to Manhattan, as mentioned when only there a few days i don't want to waist a day in a shopping wall when we can be walking the streets on nyc, taking in everything, enjoying the summer sun and buy something more interesting 😊

thanks xx

Wales
Level Contributor
286 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: jersey gardens

We always take a trip out to jersey gardens get some great bargains . We take the bus out about 9ish so you are there for opening and the first bus back about 1 ish so only about half a day

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
720 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: jersey gardens

Thanks nevrox.

do you manage to grab some real bargains though ie a lot cheaper than in Manhattan?

and do the have a good amount of stock etc? Or is it a matter of going through endless messed up stands to find something?

thanks x

Wales
Level Contributor
286 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: jersey gardens

We all ways go early so it's very good then before the crowds get there to mess it up , you also get a voucher book with good discounts on for being an over seas shopper , don't forget you can also get 10% in macys for the same reason

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
1,148 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: jersey gardens

Which bus and where to catch it from?

New York NY
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: jersey gardens

Jersey Gardens is really not nearly as good as Woodbury Common.

Jersey Gardens appeals to a more urban demographic and many of the clothes are in the XL XXL sizes. I don't wear XL or XXL so I'm virtually never able to get anything there and I just really don't like the experience of Jersey Gardens.

Woodbury Common has good stuff. Higher-end stores, more choice, a much more pleasant and refined experience ... in my opinion.

If you're looking for a good outlet mall in New Jersey, I like Flemington.

I don't like Jersey Gardens.

Mentioned in this post
New Jersey
New Jersey
United States
Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
720 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: jersey gardens

I think garden state plaza seems like a much better option and now going to head there after reading so many great reviews. X