We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation

Houston, Texas
1 post
Save Topic
Transportation

Please help!!!!

We are arriving Newark airport and staying at 49th and broadway.....2 adults 2 children ....is the shuttle or best choice ??do we purchase in advance before we arrive ??? I see that is an option.

Thanks

Confused

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
22,121 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transportation

No. Shuttle is your WORST choice.

Take a look at the Top Questions section (to the right, if you are on a regular computer vs a mobile app), question #1

You can take public transit, or you can take a taxi or car service. The shared van shuttles are universally bad in NYC. Read the links in the Top Question.

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
988 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transportation

I thought taxis to/from Newark weren't a great idea due to New Jersey taxis not being able to carry return passengers to New Jersey and the customer having to pay for a two-way trip because of that.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transportation

..I believe NJ cabs are addressed where you were directed to;-) Nonetheless, NJ cab prices are tiered depending on where you're going! I've never used them so have no personal experience.. when looking to get home from EWR.. if I don't use the air train to www.njtransit.com/ I call for a car service.. www.dial7.com/ www.carmellimo.com/ work for me.. flat rate plus tip and tolls.. you're looking at approx. $80 all in;-) Best.. and EnJOY!

Edited: 03 April 2014, 20:05
Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
11,151 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transportation

NJ cabs at EWR are fixed rate

panynj.gov/airports/ewr-taxi-car-van-service…

+ tolls and it's the tolls you have to pay double for -- but the same goes for the car services that Litsa mentioned. You get charged double the NJ Turnpike toll but only have to pay the Hudson River crossing one way, but it's a steep charge, as much as $13 depending on various factors). When getting a cab, a uniformed dispatcher will give you a slip of paper with the fare on it. You should at that point ask what the tolls will be

The only other issue with NJ cabs I'm aware of is that if you're staying in an odd location they might not know how to get there, but they should have no trouble all the major hotels in Manhattan as long as you know the cross streets.

That said, car services are about the same price as cabs

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
11,444 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transportation

The AirTrain/ NJ Transit train combination fare from Newark Airport to NY Penn Station is $12.50. Children 11 and under pay $8.75.

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
988 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transportation

Thanks for the clarification.

7. Re: Transportation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 April 2015, 05:16