We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bar areas in Manhattan

South Wales
Level Contributor
84 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Bar areas in Manhattan

Hello all,

I'm off to NYC in December (flights booked but not hotel at present).

I'm trying to find the best location to stay within manhattan for my needs which are:

Seeing the main sites by day

Decent food in the evening

Beers at night

I appreciate you will never see it all in the four days I am there but I want to get a good feel for it. Does it make that much difference where you stay as long as you are near a subway?

Are there any particular areas with groups of bars?

Many thanks for your time,

Michael

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
99,802 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bar areas in Manhattan

Near a subway gets you any place. The midtown area where most first time visitors stay (Times Square and environs) has plenty of bars but they are elss likely to have locals. The big issue is budget. Dec. can be extremely expensive and you may get more value for money staying downtown or Brooklyn. What are your dates and nightly budget. That may solve the issue for you.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bar areas in Manhattan

Hey Michael:-) The UWS will also offer you much of what you're looking for.. especially wonderful places to eat.. packed with them.. along with loads of bars for those beers;-) Some properties are located close enough to even walk to midtown.. huge plus.. but public transport abounds from subway to busses;-) Best in your search.. and EnJOY!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
738 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bar areas in Manhattan

There are lots of places to eat and drink around Hell's kitchen. Be sure to check out the Pony Bar, lots of beers on tap. Hell's kitchen is basically between 40th and 59th on 8th Ave.

Diane

NYC Photo Safari

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,038 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bar areas in Manhattan

Hotels on the Lower East Side or in the East Village would have great food and bar areas of all kinds.

Shawn

http://nytourguy.blogspot.com/

http://instagram.com/nytourguy

South Wales
Level Contributor
84 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Bar areas in Manhattan

Hi everyone,

Thanks for getting back to me with your helpful responses!

I probably should have mentioned that I will be traveling with my girlfriend and we will be going 5th - 9th Dec (which I understand is one of the most expensive hotel weeks of the year).

I've been looking at hotels around midtown and upper east/west as this was recommended by a friend but then looking at forums a lot seemed to suggest the more southern districts were the 'places to be' by night.

We aren't looking to budget over the course of the trip but don't get me wrong, we aren't exactly minted :-)

Thanks again,

Mike

South Wales
Level Contributor
84 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Bar areas in Manhattan

I've just booked in Chelsea, 28th st / 7th ave.

Hopefully this will be okay!

Thanks

Manchester...
Level Contributor
83 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bar areas in Manhattan

Plenty of places in and around Bleeker St,Greenwich Village for live music,beers and food.I was there last week and loved the Red Lion,and the Cafe Wha? house band were brilliant.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bar areas in Manhattan

which hotel did you end up booking?

South Wales
Level Contributor
84 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Bar areas in Manhattan

Hotel indigo

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
6,686 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bar areas in Manhattan

You hotel is on the northeastern fringe of what could be considered Chelsea. It's actually closer to Herald Square and Penn Station/Madison Square Garden. The immediate area surrounding the hotel has some food and bar offerings, but it's not terribly exciting.

You'll be better off walking SW into Chelsea proper or SE into Flatiron. Lots going on in those neighborhoods. And of course you can always get on the subway and go out in Greenwich Village, the East Village, the Lower East Side, Hell's Kitchen, etc.

Enjoy your trip!