We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traffic from UWS leaving city in morning.Coming back in eve.

Brampton, Canada
Level Contributor
61 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Traffic from UWS leaving city in morning.Coming back in eve.

Hi.

I'll be staying with someone on W 73rd right beside Central Park. It'll be for a couple of weeks and on most days I'll be getting up and leaving in my car around 8 or 9 am to drive east to Nassau county or North to Putnam and Orange counties.

I will most of the time be coming back to the city around 5 to 7 pm.

How is the traffic in those directions at those times? It seems like I'd be going the opposite of typical traffic flow. Is that correct? How bad are the tunnels and bridges going to be?

Let's say I was going from W 73rd to Harriman State Park. Or to Massapequa. Google maps says those are between 50 to 60 mins. Would it be much worse at the times I'm leaving?

Thanks.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,038 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traffic from UWS leaving city in morning.Coming back in eve.

Getting to Orange and Putnam counties should be fine. Traffic on the Palisades Parkway (to Orange County) or Saw Mill and Taconic Parkways (to Putnam) should be easy going against the grain. Going to Massapequa might be harder. You could end up in a half hour of traffic, but nothing compared to going the other way. To get to Massapequa, I would avoid 495 (The Long Island Expressway) since that is jammed through Queens in both directions a lot. Also avoid driving through Midtown to the Queens-Midtown Tunnel. Instead, Take the Triboro (RFK) bridge from Harlem and follow signs for Laguardia. Past the airport, take 678 towards the Whitestone Bridge. From there take exit 16 for the Cross Island Parkway, and that will deposit you on to the Southern State Parkway and on your way East!

Shawn

http://nytourguy.blogspot.com/

http://instagram.com/nytourguy

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,734 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traffic from UWS leaving city in morning.Coming back in eve.

While the directions offered above are better than the 495 you are still going to be in traffic. Driving near LGA is very crowded in the AM. 678 is also crowded. It is incorrect to think that rush hour only goes in one direction.

3. Re: Traffic from UWS leaving city in morning.Coming back in eve.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 April 2015, 06:15