We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Multi destination suggestions

Wales
Level Contributor
437 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Multi destination suggestions

Not really sure which forum to post in but as NY would be our main stop I'll start here.

Thinking of taking mam to NYC in September but as it'll be her 3rd visit and my 6th and we've got a few weeks away thought I'd incorporate a few other places and do a multi destination trip.

At the moment sort of thinking maybe Boston,Niagra falls,Totonto and maybe Philly. Not been to any of there pales before so will be nice to do something different and spend a couple of days in each place and maybe finish up with 5 nights or so in NYC.

Will be flying from the UK so looking for advice on which way round would be best?whether to fly/train/bus/drive from place to place?if there's anywhere else in that sort of area to consider?

Will be looking to keep travel costs as low as possible.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,957 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Multi destination suggestions

You should book an open jaw ticket which means flying into one city and out of the other. It usually costs only a bit more than flying in and out of the same place. I'd look to see which of those cities has nonstop flights to/ from your home airport besides NYC. All but Niagara Falls and Toronto are easily reached by train..website

Amtrak.com

or bus

greyhound.com

Megabus.com

Boltbus.com

which is typically cheaper but not as comfortable.

To get to Niagara Falls and/or Toronto flying is best since it's quite far from the rest. From NYC or Boston, I think, flying to Buffalo, NY is the cheapest air option. You might look at flying into Boston and out of Phil. Then fly from Boston to Buffalo or Toronto, fly to NYC and train to Philadelphia then home. Phil. Is also an easy day trip from NYC. How much time o you have for the trip? That,s a lot of packing and unpacking.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,957 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Multi destination suggestions

PS

Kayak.com

Trivago.com

Are good sites for airfare. To get the open jaw ticket on kayak, choose the multi city form.

Wales
Level Contributor
437 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Multi destination suggestions

Got 3 weeks off work which is why I thought of adding some other destinations in rather than just New York. Figured Boston/Philly would be good options as they're not a million miles away

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,957 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Multi destination suggestions

With 3 weeks this is a very pleasant trip. If you're willing to do some driving, you might even consider adding Cape Cod to the Boston section for a bit of beach. Early Sept. Is lovely up there. Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket are also gorgeous at that time of year and you wouldnt need to drive to do those....or a few days in the Hamptons or Montauk outside NYC.

Wales
Level Contributor
437 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Multi destination suggestions

Nywhiz what would you suggest as an itinery? Thinking Toronto might be out as at the moment it's adding considerable cost to the flights. Would you suggest a hire car then to travel from place to place and dropping it off before we finish up with a few days in NYC or use internal flights/train/bus? Think Boston will be a definite stop,undecided on Philly though,have you been there?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,957 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Multi destination suggestions

If Toronto is out, what about Niagara Falls? They're very close. You can fly to Buffalo, rent a car and drive to Toronto. It's very difficult to advise on an itinerary without knowing anything about you or Mom or without actually pricing things out for you. One way car rentals can be very expensive at times and other times not. I'd only recommend driving if you enjoy it and want to see things not well connected otherwise (like Cape Cod). Otherwise, parking a car in cities like Boston and NYC is just added expense.

Edited: 07 April 2014, 00:17
New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Multi destination suggestions

I would recommend flying from London to Boston. It is very easy to clear customs in Boston (not that they're more lenient or anything - it's just that they don't have the volume of flights and it's just a little less chaotic than New York). I recommend the London - Boston. Spend a few days in Boston. September is a beautiful time of year - you'll start to get some foliage in Northern New England. You could take Amtrak's Down Easter train from Boston North Station to Portland Maine (that would be very pretty).

Portland Maine has great restaurants.

You could easily and economically fly from Portland Maine to Philadelphia or even Washington D.C. and take the train up to Philadelphia from Washington D.C. and then up to New York.

You can fly economically between both Boston and New York to Buffalo for Niagara Falls.

You can get very reasonable one-way (single) airfare in the U.S.

ontario
Level Contributor
266 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Multi destination suggestions

Or, if you flew into Toronto, it is a $10/ 2hour bus ride to Niagara falls, Take a train ($62) from Niagara state-side to NYC. Then plan Boston etc out of NYC. Just another option.

ontario
Level Contributor
266 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Multi destination suggestions

Also good to note... September is TIFF in Toronto. So lots of fabulous movies and premieres, celebrities are all in town BUT that means hotels are at top dollar.

Ohio
Level Contributor
7,989 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Multi destination suggestions

You can also take a ferry over to Provincetown (which is at the tip of Cape Cod) from Boston. It is a beautiful area, walkable, neat places to stay, plenty of restaurants, and shops.

http://baystatecruisecompany.com