We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hilton Garden Inn Central park

Level Contributor
11 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Hilton Garden Inn Central park

I have put this on here as i feel as many people as possible need to see this.

I have lost my login details and had to create an new account

I am not a 1 negative review person will be posting a lot more of my 4 weeks in the USA later

Let me start off by saying how excited i was to be staying here. 1st time in New York. The BIG APPLE. Brand new hotel. 4 weeks traveling around the states but kicking it all off with a week here.

I have thought long and hard about how i should approach this. So ill start with why i am so disappointed.

Checked into the hotel 5th March after over 24 hours of flying bags were dropped Times Square and dinner. Upon returning to the hotel my GF had a shower i unpacked a few things and checked on my engagement ring i had stashed in my luggage. all good reboxed it and tucked it away until it was time to appear later in the week. Monday night was the time. Planned a nice dinner grabbed the ring box on the way out had dinner then went to empire state buliding about 10pm. up on the empire state building taking it all in, get down on 1 knee open the box BANG no ring. That feeling that very second was one of the most guttered i had ever ever felt. i was in tears, in shock. I hadnt checked the box since the early hours of Thursday morning, didnt think i had too, had the ring fallen out (its was a ring box inside a cardboard box) "unlikely" back to the room searched everywhere nope no ring.Spoke to front counter staff (The manager said he was "too busy" to speak with me) who at this time were quite concerned and helpful took details etc and said they would get onto it. I must have spoken with 3-4 different managers over the period of 36 hours who all assured me things from we will sort it, we have insurances, we will do whatever we can to help. One asked why it wasnt in the safe. 1 because the safe wasnt working, 2 because it was a surprise engagement ring what am i supposed to say babe dont go into the safe until i say its ok. im hiding something in there. The following day a police report was made with NYPD. Wednesday morning was check out time i asked to speak to the manager to see if there was any more i could do/give them. If they had any idea what could be done from there end. To say i was flabbergasted at the response would be an understatement. I was basically blamed for not putting the ring in the safe and was told we arent going to do anything its JUST TOO BAD. They waited until i had check out after being reassured "something would be done" to "its just too bad" I just can not even nearly 4 weeks later get over this. I find no difference in the ring being stolen and the heartless dismissive response once i had checked out. PURE DISGUSTING.

4 weeks have gone by and true to the word of the hotel i have not heard a single thing. not a phone call not an email NOTHING

Now a few other points about the hotel

The lifts were terrible. could wait for ages to get a lift during busy time

The heating/aircon was very loud. I can sleep 8 hour solid on an aeroplane nothing wakes me but these things were loud.

The service up until that point had been good 6-7/10 friendly staff. i wont blame the counter staff for the way it was handled they were friendly an helpful

Hotel could be better served with a information booth/ brochure stand of things to do in NY

The location is good

it is clean. Brand new as expected

The fitness center was pretty good too

The room size was expected small but as ive read all rooms in NY are.

didnt use room service

The day after the ring went missing i went to Tiffanys and spent nearly $3000usd on a ring. Money that was supposed to be for a month traveling in the states. A trip we had planned for 10 months. we got engaged in central park on the tuesday night. the stress and burden this put on the next 3 weeks nearly derailed our trip all together. The ring was in the room Thursday it wasnt on monday. I doubt i will ever ever forgive the hotel and the whole hilton chain for this. Its not just the ring being stolen but the way it was and still has been handled. not a care in the world from anyone at the hotel.

Ring aside would i have stayed here again. probably not. we got discount opening specials on the room and would not have come back here unless a similar special had presented itself. I would have given the hotel 3-3.5 stars out of 5 but the whole ring incident and treatment is the reason for the 1

London, United...
Level Contributor
767 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hilton Garden Inn Central park

I am so sorry to hear about your experience, you must have been so shocked and just horrified. It certainly sounds like the hotel didn't handle it well at all. Did you get the name of the staff member who said their insurance should cover it?

You certainly have a New York story to beat most others, sad to say.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,972 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hilton Garden Inn Central park

Terribly sorry to hear about this and I hate to say it, but a lesson to everyone,

1) PUT VALUABLES IN A SAFE.

2) get insurance immediately on things like that, ESPECIALLY if you're travelling.

I'm sure the hotel had a safe downstairs. It sounds like it was handled badly anyway, but leaving it in the room was just not a good idea. In years to come it will hopefully be something you will laugh about. Best of luck to you both.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
547 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hilton Garden Inn Central park

I feel so sorry for you as this must have been devastating. Ok I get that valuables need to go in the safe, but I understand that you couldn't for obvious reasons. You do not expect someone to be going through your personal belongings when you are not in the room. Perhaps the cleaning staff should have been questioned. Absolutely disgraceful that the hotel dismissed it and put the blame back on you.

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
3,351 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hilton Garden Inn Central park

What did you want or expect the hotel to do?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
7,846 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hilton Garden Inn Central park

oh man...this is so terrible.

If you have police report then reach out to the corporate office also.

in 2012, I had a lot of my stuff stolen from my bag in Amsterdam. Unfortunately, it was gone and i got nothing back from the hotel. Not even an apology.

Such a shame, so sorry for you.

Level Contributor
11 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hilton Garden Inn Central park

Didn't think to ask the hotel about a safe outside the room. That probably would have been the best option.

What did I want the hotel to do? More than what they had done. Ideally have covered the ring through insurance but take some form of responsibility at least. Unless another hotel guest somehow got access to the room it had to be a member of staff. What that means is people who steal once will steal again. They will keep doing it til they get caught then once punished keep doing it again.

I'm sure people make bogus claims for things all the time. You couldn't make this up. To be on bent knee with an empty box was one of the most humiliating and devastating things I have experienced. It had been planned for 6 months. I had paid the ring off I'm not rich the holiday was 10 months in planning and booking. With costs spread out over that time. I work bloody hard and to have something you have worked so hard to be stolen away, then for the people responsible to just blow it off is crap.

Whitehouse, Texas
Level Contributor
257 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Hilton Garden Inn Central park

When you discovered the safe was broken, did you alert the front desk and ask that someone be sent up to repair or replace it? If they couldn't rectify the issue, you could have requested a different room. I'm sorry that you experienced such a tough life lesson, but valuables should be stored in a safe. Period.

Seattle
Level Contributor
609 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hilton Garden Inn Central park

Unfortunately, you were ultimately responsible for the ring. You learned the hard way that one should never leave something so valuable in your hotel room. I am sure the hotel has some fine print somewhere that limits their liability for theft, especially if you had access to a safe and did not use it. If the safe was broken, you should have mentioned it to the front desk and that is when they would have told you that they have other means to keep your valuables safe. Sorry this happened to you. Did you have travel insurance? Perhaps this would cover the loss.

Level Contributor
11 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hilton Garden Inn Central park

The safe wasn't used for anything else. What limited cash we had we carried with us.

How would you store a ring in the room safe with your GF if you're going to propose to her and she has no idea. I'm not going to say can you stay out of the safe for a few days. It is my responsibility to an extent but if you are employed at a hotel and your job is to clean the room you have an obligation not to go through people's suitcases and not to touch things you don't need to touch. I wouldn't take something that's not mine weather I was employed by someone or not. It's stealing. But doing it as a paid employee is even worse

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
15,393 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hilton Garden Inn Central park

Sorry to hear your tale. In hindsight the coulda's and shoulda's are always logical. I always shut and lock my suitcase when I'm out for the day and keep semi-valuable stuff in there.