We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Newark Airport arrivals be advised - Pulaski Skyway

New York NY
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Topic
Newark Airport arrivals be advised - Pulaski Skyway

Beginning April 12, 2014 - The northbound travel lanes on the Route 1&9 Pulaski Skyway (heading toward the Holland Tunnel and New York City - from the direction of Newark) will be closed for approximately 24 months while the New Jersey Department of Transportation (NJDOT) rehabilitates the bridge deck.

My best guess is that something like 35 - 40% of the traffic between Newark and Manhattan uses the Skyway. I'd guess that less than 50% of traffic between Newark Airport and Manhattan uses the Lincoln Tunnel or George Washington Bridge and only a small amount of traffic uses the NJ Turnpike Hudson Bay Extension to the Holland Tunnel.

I suspect this will mean massive back-ups considering how bad it has been without any disruption.

Consider the train. AirTrain Newark / NJ Transit into New York Penn Station for $12.50 per adult passenger.

state.nj.us/transportation/…

www.panynj.gov/airports/ewr-airtrain.html

www.njtransit.com

australia
Level Contributor
91 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Newark Airport arrivals be advised - Pulaski Skyway

We are arriving into Newark at 3.55 pm on 4th June and have a private car booked to take us into manhattan. We have just found out that there are construction works at the airport, the air train will be closed and now roadworks. We have tickets to a Yankees game that same night. Wot are the chances of getting to the game on time

New York NY
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Newark Airport arrivals be advised - Pulaski Skyway

Are you planning to clear US Customs in Newark or will you have already cleared in Los Angeles and San Francisco.

Newark is a nightmare right now with the runway construction, AirTrain construction, Pulaski Skyway construction. I'd go out of my way to avoid Newark Airport right now.

Sorry...

australia
Level Contributor
91 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Newark Airport arrivals be advised - Pulaski Skyway

We are flying in from Memphis so no need to clear customs.

australia
Level Contributor
91 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Newark Airport arrivals be advised - Pulaski Skyway

Flights were booked about six months ago so don't think I can change flights without it becoming too expensive. Will just have to sit and wait

New York NY
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Newark Airport arrivals be advised - Pulaski Skyway

Regional flights into Newark are always the first to be delayed so be patient.

Because Newark Airport is a big international airport with a very large volume of little / regional planes, it is notorious for extensive delays when it comes to any kind of weather (spring and summer thunderstorms cause a huge mess at Newark Airport). Even low clouds / wind / fog / drizzle - Newark really only functions well when the weather is perfect. International flights have top priority followed by long-haul flights on larger aircraft. By the time you get down to the regional flights operated by United Express, American Eagle, Delta Connection, US Airways Express, you get a lot of delays and cancellations.

australia
Level Contributor
91 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Newark Airport arrivals be advised - Pulaski Skyway

Am looking at flights into la guardia rather than newark. Might see if I can change now and avoid headache later. Thank you for your advice

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
8,153 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Newark Airport arrivals be advised - Pulaski Skyway

MoreFFmiles.... Do ground transport have to go through Pulaski Skyway ? How will that affect traffic going to Manhattan via holland tunnel.. ? The only problem would be rush hour in my opinion....

Edited: 09 April 2014, 01:12
New York NY
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Newark Airport arrivals be advised - Pulaski Skyway

The Pulaski Skyway heading into Manhattan will be completely closed for two years. So, everybody who had been using it will have to find an alternate.

The Hudson Bay Extension of the Turnpike (toll) was always two lanes. They've converted the right shoulder into a narrow lane for cars or something (so I read or heard)

Traffic coming into Manhattan seems worse during the afternoon hours (3:00PM - 7:00PM) and especially weekends. I think weekends will be really bad because people like to drive in and seem to have a higher threshold for a 45 minute to one hour delay which may become a 90 minute or two hour delay.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
8,153 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Newark Airport arrivals be advised - Pulaski Skyway

Port Authority ...never cease to amaze me.....amazing ....they couldn't have planned it better ....anyways...!!!

New York NY
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Newark Airport arrivals be advised - Pulaski Skyway

What blows my mind about this whole thing is that we've known about the Pulaski Skyway impending shutdown for years. It was even delayed to accommodate the Super Bowl in February. This is not news - this has been well publicized for a very very long time.

All we've been hearing for well over a year now is that we're all going to have to find suitable alternates and the most recommended alternate is rail service.

Okay, so we're all gearing up for increased use of rail service and what does the Port Authority do but announce that simultaneously they're taking AirTrain Newark offline for two and a half months *and* at a particularly busy time of year. May 1 - July 15th is a very very busy time - it's not like January & February.

I don't know what these folks flying into Newark in May and June are going to do ... I guess they'll just have to be patient and take buses to the train or take a car service and sit in traffic. I can tell you the car service rates are going to have to rise if the amount of time it takes a car service to make a roundtrip doubles. Nobody wants to work double the amount of time for the same pay - the drivers are not going to take Newark fares unless they are compensated for the additional time.