We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Everyone said I would hate it - A 7 day Trip Report

Northwich, United...
Level Contributor
1,768 posts
86 reviews
Save Topic
Everyone said I would hate it - A 7 day Trip Report

This is my aptly named trip report, as this was all of my friends and families reaction when I said we were going to New York, cue stories horror stories of crime, dirty hotels and streets and horrible people . . . Seriously, I am wondering if they went to the same place as me!

So, 'we' is myself and my partner who I shall name S, in our mid thirties. New York was not actually planned so to speak, we were looking for a short European city break and came across a glitch on American Airlines for direct Manchester to JFK flights £194 return (leaving on 31st March for a week), so in a matter of weeks with the help of the people on this forum, we had a trip planned. Special thanks to those that helped with my itinerary, the help in finding the Hotel New Yorker for $125 a night inc taxes, the Subway guide on here, and the recent forum posting 'how NY stole our hearts' which gave us even more to add in to our trip! I'll apologise now as I am probably the most descriptive and rambling person so if I go on, just tell me to shut up!!

Day 1 31st March 2014

Our flight from Manchester to JFK on AA was absolutely fine, the check-in lady noticed we weren't sitting together as there had been no free seats together when we picked them online and kindly moved us to sit next to one another. We took of promptly and arrived early into JFK. We were surprised to get our luggage and go through security in under 1 hour although we had a minor hold up after collecting our luggage when immigration wanted to inspect my main luggage and asked me to open it and I couldn't get the padlock off. There I was cursing buying cheap travel locks off Ebay when S reminded me I now had a different combination lock code as I had changed it. I felt a bit of a fool but it made the immigration men smile as they thought it was quite funny.

So, we grabbed a yellow cab outside JFK and if ever we needed an introduction to New York, it was the perfect blue sunny skies as we approached the Manhattan skyline. Our taxi took around 35 minutes and we arrived at the New Yorker around 2pm. Our room wasn't ready but they did store our cases and said they had a room with a view of the ESB and it would be ready around 3pm. We grabbed a map and decided to just 'walk' around and and try and find our feet a bit as it was such a nice day. We walked down 8th Av and kept stopping just to look up, we then just got comfortably lost and kept spotting things such as the library, Magnolia Bakery, the ice skating ring near Rockefeller, the Lego Shop, Times Square (in no particular order). I think we were that tired and overwhelmed that we probably walked miles without realising . . .

When we spotted the entrance to TOTR, we decided that we would return for sunset as the weather was just perfect and we didn't want to miss the good weather. I'd been checking it daily for the previous week and according to the weather we were due rain every day (thank god the weather forecast was wrong for most of our stay)! We headed back to the New Yorker and went up to our room, which did have an ESB view, albeit through scaffolding. Within 30 seconds there was the most unbearable noise of drilling/maintenance in the room next door. I went back down and asked for a different room and we were given 2751. It didn't have the ESB view, but it was huge, two double beds (we asked for a one-bedded room, so only used one bed) and two big windows that let in lots of light. We also had a view of the skyline and they bought up a coffee/tea machine for free and lots of posh 'pods'. I'd read reviews that said the rooms had no tea/coffee making facilities so I was quite suprised. I've done my review of the Hotel New Yorker already.

We had a quick refresh and headed for TOTR. This was by far the best day we could have picked for this. What a view, it was absolutely stunning and we must have been up there for a good couple of hours, from daylight to a gorgeous sunset/dusk and the lights coming on in all the buildings, the view of Central Park, it was just beautiful.

After this we were shattered and a little hungry. We headed back to the room grabbing a Subway which we ate in the room and finished unpacking.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
20 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Everyone said I would hate it - A 7 day Trip Report

Sounds great so far! Looking forward to hearing how you filled you remaining days in NYC. My partner and I are heading to the city at the end of May. He had reluctantly agreed but I think will be pleasantly surprised when we actually get there! Your first day sounds similar to what we have planned--getting acclimated and going to TOTR to see the city.

Flushing, New York
Level Contributor
5,306 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Everyone said I would hate it - A 7 day Trip Report

The New Yorker Hotel is undergoing a renovation since late 2013 that will double the number of rooms. I can only imagine this is being done by dividing rooms in half. I read tubs are being eliminated in favor of shower stalls to save space. It is supposed to become more business oriented rather than a tourist hotel.

crainsnewyork.com/article/20131110/HOSPITALI…

West Yorks
Level Contributor
804 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Everyone said I would hate it - A 7 day Trip Report

" came across a glitch on American Airlines for direct Manchester to JFK flights £194 return "

Fantastic price!!

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
611 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Everyone said I would hate it - A 7 day Trip Report

Absolutely loving so far. Hope it continues to be such a great trip.

i can't believe the bargain you bagged, im well jealous lol xx

Northwich, United...
Level Contributor
1,768 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Everyone said I would hate it - A 7 day Trip Report

I can't imagine making the New Yorker even bigger, shame they are halving the room sizes, some of them are already small. I can still see the New Yorker attracting tourists, especially if it is good value, we loved the location near to Penn and 34th St Subway stop. Our first room with the view was small and although the bathroom had a bath it was tiny. Our next room had a shower, but like a walk in shower and was big enough for two people.

I promise I will do Day 2 shortly, but got back early this morning (GMT) went to sleep, woke up, tried to unpack and I'm sleepy again and am back in work tomorrow so need to go to bed!

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Everyone said I would hate it - A 7 day Trip Report

Good 1st day.

Some people just think that NYC is the same as it was in the 70's and 80's(there are many people who also love those times.) It's a great city to live/visit/etc. And the people are great. It's really just the movies/TV that gets people thinking negatively.

Hervey Bay...
Level Contributor
3,747 posts
373 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Everyone said I would hate it - A 7 day Trip Report

Wow! Can't believe my TR got a special mention like that! Thank you so much, you've made my day :)

Sounds like a fantastic first day. Can't wait to read more.

Kirkcaldy, United...
Level Contributor
120 posts
268 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Everyone said I would hate it - A 7 day Trip Report

Brilliant price for flights!!! We thought we did good £550 each. Well done!

Yorkshire, UK
Level Contributor
247 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Everyone said I would hate it - A 7 day Trip Report

Great start, giving me ideas for our first day.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
611 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Everyone said I would hate it - A 7 day Trip Report

It seems everyone got a better deal than me lol xx