We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report for 29th March to 2nd April. 1st timers!!

Keith, United...
Level Contributor
54 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Trip report for 29th March to 2nd April. 1st timers!!

After getting so much info on here I thought it only decent to share some of my experience of our recent trip.

We normally visit Florida as a family of 4 but this would be our first escape as a couple only :)

I'm a serious planner so have spent ages with maps and reading trip reports so I hoped I was fully prepared for our 5 days in NYC.

We were both blown away with the city and had such a great time....so on with the report.

Keith, United...
Level Contributor
54 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip report for 29th March to 2nd April. 1st timers!!

Day 1 - 29th March

We flew with United Airlines from Glasgow to Newark, leaving at 8am and due to arrive at 12pm NYC time. No complaints about the flight, food was decent enough and the IFE had plenty new movies to watch.

A bit of a bumpy flight at times but we did manage to arrive 30 minutes early. We were through immigration pretty quick but seemed to wait an age on the luggage arriving.

Next step was to get on the Air train, on the way we stopped at the ticket machines to buy 2 single NJ Transit tickets for the train into NY Penn station ($12.50)

I think we just missed a train but only had a 25 minute wait until the next one came. We boarded the 12.59 train. Plenty seats available and plenty room to store suitcases in the racks above the seats.

The train got into Penn station around 1.30pm and we finally ventured out onto the streets of new york for our first ever time....and into the pouring rain!!!!!!

We were staying in The Strand at 33 west 37th Street so the plan had always been just to walk from the station on 34th St. We kinda regretted this as the rain got heavier and heavier as we raced to the hotel.

Top marks for the hotel staff though who came straight up with towels to dry off as we checked in. I had emailed in advance asking for a high floor if possible, we were given room 2009.

We took the lift to the 2nd floor, had a quick look at the room number...all in the 200's. Woohoo we realised we were on the 20th floor...the highest in the hotel, not counting the rooftop bar on the 21st.

We were in the room by 2pm which was pretty quick we thought. A quick unpack, dry clothes on and off to explore....using the free hotel umbrellas!!

We headed a few streets uptown to Bryant park. Although we now live in North Scotland, we are both originally from Falkirk in Central Scotland which is home to "The Kelpies".

I had read about smaller scale Kelpies being installed in Bryant park so we had to visit. They were obviously much smaller but still real nice.

Next stop was to visit the Library. This place was fantastic. The designs on the ceilings was especially amazing. We wandered around taking loads of photos both inside and at the front of the building.

we carried on along 42nd street with Grand Central Station being the next target....oh my god....what a place!!! It was pretty busy and had a great buzz about it.

We had to try the whispering wall thing and were amazed how it worked :)

Food was now required so we picked out Junior's in the food concourse which was on my to do list. We shared a Roasted turkey sandwich and a strawberry shortcake cheesecake with some coffee & tea.

While at the station we had planned to pick up 7 day metro cards. At first I couldnt work out how to get these as the machines I tried didnt have an option to buy the ones I wanted....we had to ask at the desk and were told the correct machines to use!!

2 metro cards were bought ($31 each) and we ventured onto the subway for the 1st time....the No.4 uptown to 59th St Lexington.

Dylans candy bar was the target, not for sweets though....we were heading upstairs for a cocktail :)

A strawberry nerds mojito and a Jolly Rancher dreamer were bought and we stood at the window enjoying the drinks looking out towards Bloomingdales.

We headed along towards FAO schwartz and had a quick look round. This is our first holiday ever without our girls so we knew we better take some toys home for them to make up for leaving them at home :)

We walked on down 5th Ave with the next target being St Patricks Cathedral. We went in for a look, another fantastic building even although the scafolding is still up inside.

Next stop was Rockefeller Center. We watched a couple of ice skaters for a bit before going inside for a look around. I had a Hot chocolate from Jacques Torres on my to do list so we bought one of these.

It was still lightly raining but as it was now dark we headed for times square. To be honest I wasnt really bothered about times square but I guess its one of these places you at least need to see once. We stayed for a bit people watching but the tiredness was building so we headed for a walk back to the hotel.

We didnt quite make it straight to the hotel though as I had "The Keg Room" marked on my to do list and as it is only 1 street away from the hotel we decided we could stay awake for a beer. 1st sample of Brooklyn Lager for me....and this would now be my drink for the holiday :)

The Keg room is pretty nice, it was busy, had a good buzz about it and some of the food looked pretty good.

After a drink we had to concede defeat and headed back for some much needed sleep. We had managed to fit alot into out first day but I knew tomorrow would have alot of walking involved!!!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9,643 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip report for 29th March to 2nd April. 1st timers!!

Wow, what a wonderful first day.You did so much from 2pm.

Mississauga, ON
Level Contributor
3,179 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip report for 29th March to 2nd April. 1st timers!!

Wow! That's a lot in one day, especially after your flight.

I'm going to look it up, but, what are Kelpies?

Keith, United...
Level Contributor
54 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip report for 29th March to 2nd April. 1st timers!!

For the Kelpies have a look at

http://www.thehelix.co.uk/

Kirkcaldy, United...
Level Contributor
120 posts
299 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip report for 29th March to 2nd April. 1st timers!!

Looking forward to hearing more, we are nervous about the air train journey but you seem to have had no bother.

San Frantastic
Level Contributor
947 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip report for 29th March to 2nd April. 1st timers!!

Holy crap! (Am I allowed to say that on TA?) You did all that after 2PM --in the RAIN? That is definitely totally awesome. I hope you aren't going to tell us that you slept the rest of the trip on account of your breakneck pace your first afternoon & evening.

And thank you for the Kelpie mention. I had fun researching that. Like to learn something new every day.

Launceston...
Level Contributor
283 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip report for 29th March to 2nd April. 1st timers!!

Yahoo,

looks like another wonderful trip report starting and going from your busy first day it is going to be great.

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
27,562 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip report for 29th March to 2nd April. 1st timers!!

You did very well navigating from EWR to Manhattan and seems like you are having a nice trip so far.

Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, West Virginia
Level Contributor
9,607 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip report for 29th March to 2nd April. 1st timers!!

Great TR! And yes, you packed in a lot that first day!

Love The Kelpies! Beautiful! Thanks for that info!

Solihull
Level Contributor
110 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip report for 29th March to 2nd April. 1st timers!!

This is looking like another great trip report, just in time!!