We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wisconsin game and NYC

Madison WI
Level Contributor
331 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Wisconsin game and NYC

Looking at options for a trip to NYC and then finding a way to see the Badgers at Rutgers game on Nov.1st. Can you see a number of attractions in 3 days? (4th day would be the game) We'd probably want to visit places like Rockefeller Center, 9/11 Memorial, Staue of Liberty, Wall St, Times Square, Central Park pretty much everything we can possibly see as 1st time visitors. Open for advice on hotels, transportation(we won't have a car), virtually anything that can help us plan our trip. We live in Madison but we can fly out of Milwaukee or Chicago also. Just my wife & I,both over 50 so we probably don't need to know the best hip hop bars. Thanks for the help !!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,384 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wisconsin game and NYC

Wow. Well the first thing you need to know is Nov. 2 is the NYC Marathon which brings thousands of people to NYC and fills hotels making them very expensive and making the city very crowded.

For seeing as much as possible in a short time, using an overview tour like

Onboardtours.com

is a good idea.

Realnewyorktours.com

Uses subway and walking which is a more efficient way of getting around. Actually going GO the Statue of Liberty is very time consuming. Unless it's a high priority because of family, I would just pass by it for this short trip. A idea of your nightly hotel budget or you have a look at prices on

Kayak.com

Trivago.com

Will get you better advice.

Edited: 10 April 2014, 14:08
Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
960 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wisconsin game and NYC

Hey, BadgerFan. Check with Kettle of Fish on Christoper St. in Greenwich Village to see if they'll be showing the Badger game. I know they show Packer games but not sure about the Badgers. It's like somebody dumped a Wisconsin tavern in the middle of Manhattan (except for that bookshelf). The owner is originally from Wauwatosa. Cheap domestic beer, too. The last time I was there I was sitting next to a couple who play for the Wisconsin Chamber Orchestra. I suppose since the opponent is Rutgers there might be plenty of bars showing that game but that's where I'd go. And, since I'm considering another Halloween trip this year I just might be there.

www.yelp.com/biz/kettle-of-fish-new-york

Delta has non-stop flights MSN to LGA but the return flight isn't always non-stop any more. I was just looking at flights for that time period this morning and for a 10/28 departure with an 11/2 return it was $318, which I think is reasonable compared to other NYC trips I've taken from Madison. If you use Delta's Skymiles program and an AmEx card, you get a free checked bag.

I saw that Southwest had flights out of Milwaukee for $107 for certain days of the week but I don't like driving home from Milwaukee after a trip so I passed it up. You have to go directly to Southwest's web site to book flights with them. Southwest won't be on Kayak and the like. You get two free checked bags with Southwest. I think Southwest flies into LGA, too. From what I'm seeing here on the forum, you probably want to avoid Newark this year due to construction related ground transportation hassles.

Madison WI
Level Contributor
331 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wisconsin game and NYC

We would be in Rutgers Stadium to cheer on the Badgers, not watching on TV. We were hoping the 4 day trip would be under $1700 including air + hotel. Thanks for the "heads up" on the NYC Marathon, that may change our minds on the "road game trip", my guess is the city is shut down along the route and extra precautions being taken after Boston's tragedy. Thanks for all the advice !!

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,247 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wisconsin game and NYC

Hotels are very expensive around marathon time because of all the people in town. You can avoid road closures, but not hotel prices

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,384 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wisconsin game and NYC

There would be NO road closures that would affect your trip at all. You can also likely take a train and/or bus to get o Rutgers. If you really want o come, there are ways to dind less expensive accommodation outside Manhattan.

Use the websites I gave you to check air and hotel. Expedia and Hotwire do pkgs. come back if you need more help once you've decided whether to do the trip.

Madison WI
Level Contributor
331 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wisconsin game and NYC

How about if we stayed at a hotel near Rutgers Stadium and took day trips to NYC attractions? Too much back and forth traveling? Would there be a significant difference in hotel prices? How difficult would it be to get to the attractions from the Rutgers campus area? Thanks !!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,384 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wisconsin game and NYC

You need to ask that question on the NJ or New Brunswick forum.

…rutgers.edu/visit-us/lodging-dining-visitors

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
960 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wisconsin game and NYC

Doh! I don't know how I didn't pick up on that.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,038 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wisconsin game and NYC

Hey Badgerfan,

You have a very shoestring budget. Even if you were able to get a room for $200/nt and flights for $200 r/t you would still be up to $1200! Plus game tickets, food, and other stuff and you are really living on the edge with that budget. You wouldn't really have much left over for any fun. There are $200 flights from Chicago. You could potentially stay in a Newark airport hotel but that would add $50/day in train costs so the savings would really be minimal. I would rethink your budget or the number of days you want to stay.

Shawn

http://nytourguy.blogspot.com/

http://instagram.com/nytourguy

Madison WI
Level Contributor
331 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Wisconsin game and NYC

The $1700 figure I used would just be the price for air + hotel for 4 days (Wed-Sun). We know that we'd need spending $$ for our stay.