We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Newark to Manhatten Cruise Terminal

Starks ME
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Newark to Manhatten Cruise Terminal

My family and I are staying at a park and ride hotel in Newark and leaving from the Manhattan Cruise Terminal on a Cruise. The hotel will shuttle to Penn station for free...what's the best and most cost effective way for 9 people to get from Penn station to the Manhattan Cruise Terminal? We are novice NYC travelers. Thanks!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Newark to Manhatten Cruise Terminal

Hey erinenorton:-) Is that to Penn Station in NJ.. or Penn Station NYC?:-) If to Penn Station in NJ, you can simply take www.njtransit.com/ into Penn Station NYC.. from there easiest would be to just grab 3 cabs to the cruise terminal.. you're looking at about $10 per cab! Take the 8th Avenue exit at NYC Penn Station.. you'll find the cab line there literally in front of you as you exit to Street using escalator;-) Best.. and EnJOY!

Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
7,374 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Newark to Manhatten Cruise Terminal

Now we assume you mean "Penn Station Newark" where the hotel van takes you.

There are two possibilities: New Jersey Transit commuter train to New York Penn Station or the PATH "subway" train to 33rd St and Broadway. The PATH train is half the price of the commuter train, so for 9 people, it is probably better.

Go up to the NY-bound platform for the PATH train. Note that the PATH train and the NJT and Amtrak trains are on the same platform but different tracks, and PATH is gotten to through turnstiles on the left side of the platform).

Buy a 10-trip card at the PATH station machine for $19, one person is designated as the swiper. Put the card in for each person who then goes in. Then put the card in again for the next person, etc. Then the swiper uses it for him/herself. Now you are at the beginning of the line, so it won't be crowded.

You go two stops to Journal Square. Get off there and change for the 33rd St train just across the Platfrm. Take that to the end of the line at 33rd St (the stop after 23 St),

From there you can either take two or three taxis to the Cruise Terminal.

Just think: the PATH train will be half the price of those 3 taxis, so I really would take the PATH train from Newark. If you are familiar at all with NYC, the last stop (33rd) is at Macys.

Here is a web page about the PATH system and a shortcut to the map and Fare page:

http://www.panynj.gov/path/

www.panynj.gov/path/maps-schedules.html

http://www.panynj.gov/path/fares.html

Edited: 10 April 2014, 16:40
Starks ME
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Newark to Manhatten Cruise Terminal

awesome! Thank you so much! I had done some looking and the PATH train DID look like the best option, but your detail is unbelievably appreciated! You guys are gems!

4. Re: Newark to Manhatten Cruise Terminal

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 April 2015, 06:15