We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Metro Card for visitors

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
11,159 posts
100 reviews
Save Topic
Metro Card for visitors

Hi, I'm just looking at Metro Cards ... the $30 7 day one and find some conflicting info. On Trip Advisors page we read

<< Out-of-town visitors should definitely take advantage of the unlimited ride MetroCards while a seven-day one is $30.00. More than one person (up to 4) can use a standard Metrocard at once>>

But on the actual Metro Card site we read this

<< Cannot be used again at the same subway station or the same bus route for at least 18 minutes. Cannot be used by or transferred to another person until the completion of a trip for which entry was obtained.>>

So I'm guessing TA is wrong or they are talking about a different card and it's not really that clear?

Edited: 11 April 2014, 09:43
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9,656 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Metro Card for visitors

^^ Out-of-town visitors should definitely take advantage of the unlimited ride MetroCards while a seven-day one is $30.00. More than one person (up to 4) can use a standard Metrocard at once>

YES - that is confusing ...they are two separate types of cards.

the Unlimited 7 day (or 30 day) and the one that is Pay-per-Ride that up to 4 can share...

web.mta.info/nyct/fare/FaresatAGlance.htm

London, United...
Level Contributor
767 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Metro Card for visitors

I'm pretty sure Unlimited Ride is one type, Standard is another. Standard is charged per use, hence multiple people being able to use it, as a trip is deducted each time.

More than one person can't use one Unlimited card at the same time.

Edited: 11 April 2014, 10:06
NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
37,368 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Metro Card for visitors

Post # 2 is correct.

Standard aka pay per ride can be used by up to 4 people. Unlimited is only one person.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
11,159 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Metro Card for visitors

Thanks guys ... I presumed that was the case. The info on TA is just not written that clearly.

5. Re: Metro Card for visitors

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 April 2015, 06:15