We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

6 days tour New York and Niagara Falls

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
6 days tour New York and Niagara Falls

I will be flying from Los Angeles to New York on May 24 and returning from New York on May 31. I will be coming with my wife and 2 year old son. I am planning to cover Niagara Falls, New York City and Washington DC. I am not planning a Bus tours as it is difficult with kid and planning to rent a car. How to travel from NY to Niagara Falls and back to NY as its long drive. Shall I skip Washington DC from my plan. Will driving a car be good idea? Could you please advise best tour plan.

PS: Flight tickets are confirmed and non-refundable.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,431 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 6 days tour New York and Niagara Falls

The best way to get to Niagara Falls is to fly. There are flights from JFK and LGA to Buffalo, NY. Jet Blue is one good option. You can do it in a long day (sounds like too much with a 2 year old) or an overnight. With 6 days trying to do 3 places sounds like too much to me, but everyone has a different style of travel. Most people use the train to Washingtonfrom NYC. You sont need a car in Washington and parking will only add expense. Flying into one city and out of another would have been a better bet to do this.

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,914 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: 6 days tour New York and Niagara Falls

Scratch D.C. - Niagara Falls looooong drive - many fly - 6 days is really not enough time, IMO, to go there - many do an overnight at the Falls - really much to see and do in NYC.Have you consulted a MAP to verify distances?

Your plan is overambitious, to say the least.

Poppa

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 6 days tour New York and Niagara Falls

Do not drive. You do not want a car for this. Very very long distances.

Fly between New York and Buffalo.

You should actually fly from Los Angeles to Washington D.C. - spend a day or two in Washington D.C. - then take the train from Washington D.C. to New York Penn. Then you fly from New York to Buffalo (for Niagara Falls) and then you fly from Buffalo back to Los Angeles - that's the way to do it.

Flying from Los Angeles to New York only to then go roundtrip to Buffalo and roundtrip to Washington D.C. is absurd - ridiculous.

If you're dead set on flying to New York from Los Angeles and you've already booked these tickets, you can still take the train one-way to Washington D.C. - then fly one-way from Washington or BWI (that's the big Baltimore Washington Int'l Airport where Southwest has a big base) to Buffalo NY (for Niagara Falls) and then from Buffalo to New York on jetBlue. You can get low one-way fares on all these routes.

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
11,378 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 6 days tour New York and Niagara Falls

Totally scratch Niagara with a 2 year old in a car. That is a crazy drive.

In fact I would probably just stick with NYC and do DC by train if you really must, but 2 year olds and DC are not something I imagine being fun.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,431 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 6 days tour New York and Niagara Falls

If you want o see more than NYC, I think Boston is a better idea with a 2 year old....or head to a beach location like Spring lake, NJ for a night or two. Easy access by train.

Edited: 14 April 2014, 04:10
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 6 days tour New York and Niagara Falls

Thanks everyone for quick response.

As car drive is very long, Is it good If I go with some Bus trips. I heard there are 6-7 days Bus Tours from New York to Niagara Falls and Washington DC.

Thanks!!

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 6 days tour New York and Niagara Falls

No. The best way to do Niagara Falls from NYC is to fly. A bus trip is just as bad. You are trying to cover to much distance in too little time.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
6,002 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 6 days tour New York and Niagara Falls

Why waste time traveling when you have only 6 days? There is enough in NYC to occupy 3-4 days, just for the major sights. With toddler in tow, I think it's best to take it easy and not rush between attractions.

NYC to Niagara Falls is a 7 hour drive one way. And flying is not going to be much quicker when you factor in the time getting to and from airports, time waiting for take off and luggage claims, time spent renting a car, etc.

If your plan is to just take a few snaps and leave, then I guess it could be done. But it would be very tiring.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,431 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 6 days tour New York and Niagara Falls

The bus tours appeal to Asians who seem to prefer seeing more places and spending shorter time. If that's you, then maybe you would like that. I can't imagine doing that with a 2 year old though.

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 6 days tour New York and Niagara Falls

I recommend against the bus tours.