We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alone in NY

Save Topic
Alone in NY

Hi. This june i'll visit NY by myself . I think this will be a great experience , but i am a bit afraid of not having someone around me . That at some point i might get bored of being alone especially in the evenings. Are New Yorkers easy to socialize with,?

Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
137 reviews
from US$175.00*
New York City Big Apple Helicopter...
1,115 reviews
from US$199.00*
New York in One Day Guided...
999 reviews
from US$83.99*
Empire State Building Tickets...
2,388 reviews
from US$36.00*
Center Moriches...
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alone in NY

Many solo travelers in NY. And solos who live and work in the city. I have always found New Yorkers to be helpful and outgoing.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
100,981 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alone in NY

Trip reports from solo travelers

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k474427-…

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
15,784 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alone in NY

Don't think of yourself as alone. Think of it as doing whatever you want without anyone to tell you "no!"

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Alone in NY

I travel alone to cities just as large as NY. Never had an issue and never get bored.

Go and sit at a bar and have dinner. You will find many people you can talk to...

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Alone in NY

I went to NYC alone in July 2012 and I loved my own little holiday, doing whatever I wanted. The New Yorkers were friendly and I never felt bored, scared or alone. Cannot recommend it enough.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
8,158 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Alone in NY

Whatever you may do in NYC ..one thing is for sure is that you will NOT get bored :)

Also, contrary to popular opinion abroad ...New Yorkers are pretty friendly.

For how many days are you coming for ? What are you interested in doing primarily in the city ?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
17,170 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Alone in NY

There are lots of things for a solo visitor to do to communicate with others:

Apply for a Big Apple Greeter

Join a tour

Sit at the bar to eat in restaurants

Talk to hotel staff

Have a drink in a bar and chat to the bartender

Just stand in a queue - others around you will probably start chatting

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
3,246 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Alone in NY

The non-boredom of having so much to experience while in NYC solo has kept me far away from loneliness.

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
15,784 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Alone in NY

The reason for my reply is that my hairdresser went to NYC with a group of friends recently. When she came back to Syracuse her complaint was that there were things she wanted to do but couldn't because the other folks in her party had other ideas.

Again, the good part of traveling alone is that noone can tell you what to do & when to do it. Your time is your own. If you are bored, just pick up one of the tourist magazines & find something to do.

Especially in NYC, there's so much to choose from it's an embarrassment of riches.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
4,475 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Alone in NY

Most of my trips to NY have been solo, and even on the ones with others I've branched off for some solo activities. Really, you can have as much human interaction as you want or need, and I have conversed with locals and fellow travellers in all of the ways mentioned above.

You will be fine. Go to a movie or show in the evening if you want some "alone time" that will have you surrounded by others. I'm going to meet up this trip with another TA poster for a chat, I think that will be great fun.