We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transit time though late night JFK

London
Level Contributor
25 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Transit time though late night JFK

Hi there

I am flying into JFK from the UK arriving at 23:00 hours on a Wednesday night. I want to book a car into Manhattan (Carmel or Dial 7) wondered if anyone had any idea how long it might take to get through immigration and luggage claim at that time of night.

Thanks

Steve

New York, New York
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
5,103 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transit time though late night JFK

I've always found that taking a yellow cab FROM the airport is best-because you can never guess how long it will take-sometimes you breeze right through and other times it is hours. At night you should be fine but there is no telling for sure.

The yellow cab stands will be there for you once you get your luggage (don't take unauthorized rides)-Carmel or Dial 7 will ask you to call them when you have your luggage & then you will wait for them. I've waited for them anywhere from 5 mins to a half hour once. After that it was yellow taxis from the airport & car service to the airport.

On your return trip (Coming from the hotel going to the airport) Carmel or Dial 7 is much better- because if it decides to rain -then it becomes difficult to find an available cab in Manhattan & in this case Carmel or Dial 7 will wait for you in front of the hotel and call you to come down.

Good luck

Australia
Level Contributor
1,391 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transit time though late night JFK

We were on a flight from the UK due to land at about 11pm at T4 JFK on a Wednesday night a couple of weeks ago. I was very happy when I flight arrived almost an hour early, and was starting to think of where we might go for a quick drink near our hotel.

However, after waiting at immigration for 2 hours (!), we didn't get to the hotel until about 1am.

Are you travelling with children? If so, you'll probably get through faster, as they were pulling people with children out of the main queue, and they were taken straight to an immigration agent.

Have a look here: http://awt.cbp.gov/ to see the average wait times by hour for the terminal you are landing at.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transit time though late night JFK

It is a hit or miss at JFK. I have literally gone through in about 20 minutes...I have also spent close to 2 hrs total(customs/immigration/bag pick-up.)

As stated, you can always just jump in a taxi when you are outside.

London
Level Contributor
25 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transit time though late night JFK

Thanks for your replies - looks like yellow cab it is

Steve

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transit time though late night JFK

It's very simple,,just follow the signs for taxis.

You WILL get people who come up and say..."taxi sir?" Just say no thanks/I'm good/etc and head to the official taxi stand.

Australia
Level Contributor
1,391 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transit time though late night JFK

I should have mentioned....once through immigration, we were in a taxi in no time - about 5 or so groups ahead of us, not a single taxi in sight, however after a minute or two in the queue, lots of taxis arrived (I'm guessing they must have all been sitting at a rank in one of the other terminals).

7. Re: Transit time though late night JFK

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 April 2015, 06:16