We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Battery Park - good location to stay at a hotel with a kid?

Vienna, Austria
Level Contributor
2,397 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Battery Park - good location to stay at a hotel with a kid?

I just found some good offers at the Ritz at Battery Park, but I am not sure if the location is a good one to stay at with a kid in summer.

On one hand I think maybe it is not as noisy for a good night sleep and it is convenient for a trip to the Statue of Liberty...but on the other hand I think it is really far from everything else like Central Park.

What do you think of the location at Battery Park?

Would it be preferable to stay close to Central Park?

New York, NY
Level Contributor
2,822 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Battery Park - good location to stay at a hotel with a kid?

you will basically be in battery park city, which is a hugely family-friendly area. great park along the river,some wonderful playgrounds, low key restaurants with outdoor seating, not much car traffic. the downside is it can be a schlep to get to the subway, and you usually have t o cross the west side highway to do it (there are elevated pedestrian crossings in one or two places). but if you get an express train you can be in midtown or at central park probably in 45 minutes.

look here for more info:

mommypoppins.com/new-york-city-family-neighb…

2. Re: Battery Park - good location to stay at a hotel with a kid?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 15 April 2014, 17:16
Edited: 15 April 2014, 17:16
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
25,054 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Battery Park - good location to stay at a hotel with a kid?

I don't have the knowledge like the locals, but I can perhaps give you a 'visitor' perspective?

I personally love Battery Park, it has an unusual feel about it, half corporate half residential, it's got some really nice parks and in a place like New York, I find it peaceful and not so hectic.

If you don't mind NOT being in the thick of the most popular accommodation, and don't mind what you'd typically find in fringe financial districts of the city, it's great.

That's just my personal taste, so it's subjective. And that Ritz Carlton is a fantastic 'value for money' property, for that brand. Sensational views.

Edited: 15 April 2014, 17:17
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,572 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Battery Park - good location to stay at a hotel with a kid?

The area is great for children, lot's of families live there and there are endless facilities, great parks, wonderful restaurants that cater to young ones. Summer also brings out a lot of child friendly outdoor entertainment. For more information: www.citykiddy.com which is compiled by someone who lives in the area with her family.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,431 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Battery Park - good location to stay at a hotel with a kid?

It really depends on what you plan to do on the trip and whether you will use the subway to get around. I would not stay there assuming you'll use taxis as you'll spend more than you save. If you're considering staying downtown, you might also check the Conrad which is all suites.

6. Re: Battery Park - good location to stay at a hotel with a kid?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 April 2015, 06:17