We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Celebration Dinner in New York City

Calgary
Level Contributor
38 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
Celebration Dinner in New York City

We are in New York at the beginning of June for our 25th Wedding Anniversary and would like to celebrate in style. Any recommendations for a special dinner? We eat pretty much anything and am not too concerned about the cost, after all we are only going to celebrate once :) also would be nice to see what anyone's thoughts are on how to make it a special day. We were in NY for my husbands 50th and had a fab time but it's been quite a few years since we were there and are not sure what we can do to make it a memorable day.

Hervey Bay...
Level Contributor
3,750 posts
402 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Celebration Dinner in New York City

The River Cafe is amazing and I cannot recommend it enough.

As for making it a special day, everyone has a different idea of what romance is so perhaps a few clues on the sorts of things you are into would be good. Do you want something you can only do in NYC, do you want to do something touristy, do you want to be pampered, are you into sports etc?

Another option might be doing something like a photo trek tour where you can have a photographer follow you around for a couple of photos and take photos in different locations so you can both be in the photos and not have to do selfies. This could be a lovely memory. A walk across the Brooklyn Bridge could be equally romantic.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
7,956 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Celebration Dinner in New York City

What kind of budget are you looking for and any specific preference for location and ambiance ?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
6,385 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Celebration Dinner in New York City

If you want one of NYC's top (3-star Michelin) restaurants, take a look at Daniel, Eleven Madison Park, Jean George, Le Bernadin, and Per Se. Per Se is the one with a bit of a view.

River Cafe is the best-known view restaurant, and I've heard nothing bad about the view or service, though it has no Michelin star (or any other food accolades that I know of).

Tavern on the Green in Central Park is about to reopen next week...no one knows yet what the food or service will be like, but the interiors is looking a lot nicer than it did previously:

nytimes.com/2014/…

A PhotoTrek tour (mentioned by ktsnowowl) might be a great idea, leaving you with lots of lovely NYC memories and mementos! :)

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,749 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Celebration Dinner in New York City

WE have had major birthdays and anniversaries in the city and have enjoyed celebrating at Jean George, La Grenouille, Eleven Madison Park, Blue Hill. Personally, I love Jean George for over all effect and La Grenouille for a festive lunch time atmosphere.

San Frantastic
Level Contributor
947 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Celebration Dinner in New York City

I'm throwing Marea into the mix of restaurants. Maybe no Michelin star (not sure, actually), but if you like seafood it is THE place to go. As an added bonus, you can order what you want. At EMP (& Per Se, I think), you are stuck with the "chef's tasting menu", which was once a novel idea, but has devolved into 20+ course ridiculousness that takes 3+ hours to finish...and you get approx. only 2 bites of anything.

Montreal
Level Contributor
2,005 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Celebration Dinner in New York City

Picholine doesn't have a view but the food and the service are excellent. I love eating there.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
2,864 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Celebration Dinner in New York City

we celebrated our 20th and 5th anniversaries at Bouley (in different locations). But a big question is how formal ("stuffy," in some people's view) you like to be.

8. Re: Celebration Dinner in New York City

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 April 2015, 06:15