We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NYC and LA in one trip-Realistic??

Saint Julian's...
1 post
Save Topic
NYC and LA in one trip-Realistic??

Me and my boyfriend are seriously considering coming to NYC for the first time either in September or October. I also would love to visit LA.

Is one week in NYC and one week in LA realistic??

And which is the best month to visit, September or October?

Leeds/UK
Level Contributor
346 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: NYC and LA in one trip-Realistic??

im going to be doing 4 days in both places as well as other places, so yes it can be done. depends on what you want to do and see.

flights are easy and not too expensive.

Edited: 16 April 2014, 16:55
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
7,982 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: NYC and LA in one trip-Realistic??

Yes It is realistic....My friends from Australia did it last year.

I would personally pick San Francisco over LA. Also, you can include Vegas in our trip.

Both Sept. & Oct. are good. You have a better chance of seeing fall colors in Oct.m however it does rain a bit in Oct. as compared to Sept.

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: NYC and LA in one trip-Realistic??

It is very realistic I would try to get an "open jaw" ticket in which you arrive at one city but leave from the other. Flightts between NYC an LA are very frequent and each city has at least two airports to choose from but typically people going to LA use LAX (the other airports are Burbank's Bob Hope (BUR much smaller, fewer flights and John Wayne (SNA - also smaller and also less convenient) . You will almost certainly want to rent a car in LA but not in NY and for that car you will want to book a package that includes insurance. This comes up all the time over on the LA forum and they can tell you want to do but for starters check out http://www.carhire3000.com/

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,033 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: NYC and LA in one trip-Realistic??

I lived in L.A. for many years and I'd never recommend someone spending an entire week there; I too would head north, go to San Francisco for maybe part of it, rent a car and drive down the amazing Highway One to Big Sur, Carmel, Santa Cruz, Monterey - some of the prettiest coastline in the U.S. You could devote two days to this drive - spend the night in one of these coastal towns - just to get a taste of it. Gorgeous.

LA for a week - doing what? Sorry, again, I lived there and find it all so awful except for the Museum, Venice, and a few other parts.

I'm probably the wrong person to advise on LA - but, can you mention what you plan to see and do there? The canyons off the coast are nice(ish) - Hollywood is not an attractive part of town; a drive through Bel Air and Beverly Hills would take an afternoon.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
7,982 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: NYC and LA in one trip-Realistic??

I am with you MomCat1992. I haven't lived there but have been there a lot. Same views as you on LA :)

San Frantastic
Level Contributor
947 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: NYC and LA in one trip-Realistic??

LA is gross. I don't get it. +1for San Francisco. A drive down the coast would be nice, but you will already be missing NYC and falling in love with San Francisco at the same time.

September, for sure.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
22,443 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: NYC and LA in one trip-Realistic??

On average, there is not much difference in rainfall between Sept and Oct. 4.28 inches vs 4.40 weather.com/weather/…USNY0998

Both September and October have high hotel prices in NYC. Make sure your budget is realistic, and you will want to avoid certain dates where hotel prices skyrocket. In other words, look at hotel pricing for your proposed dates before you lock into your flights.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,903 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: NYC and LA in one trip-Realistic??

I think that the attraction for LA mirrors the fear of NYC and is media driven.

I too would forgo LA and spend time in San Francisco driving down to Carmel and Big Sur.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,033 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: NYC and LA in one trip-Realistic??

My take is that many people think of LA as the film making capital and that they will find a lot of things all over that reflect that - in truth, you wouldn't even know it unless you knew where a studio was and somehow arranged a tour of a studio (not easy to do).

I remember when family used to visit us while I lived in LA and often the first thing they wanted to see was Hollywood and Vine and we would just groan - two ugly streets at an intersection.

I lived in Santa Monica (Ocean Park) and always worked no more than 3 miles inland because of the smog - I could easily walk to the beach from my apartment, which was nice but it always felt (and still does) character-less - it feels flat, not alive and exciting; hard to describe.

But, the OP may have a list of sites they want to see there - I'm only curious what those are.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
4,141 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: NYC and LA in one trip-Realistic??

Well....I'm a died in the wool NYC fan, coming up on my 11th trip since 2010 in May....but I absolutely loved my LA trip in February, so I would recommend both too if your timing and finances allow it.

I had a local friend to guide me around LA, my main interests were Mid-Century Architecture, Car Culture, and high end shopping, LA is a mecca for all of those. Smog was light to non-existent during my stay, and the weather was Chamber of Commerce perfect every day. You definitely need a car, and much like NY, you'll get a better big picture if you avoid the obvious tourist traps.