We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Air bnb

Level Contributor
282 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Air bnb

If apartment letting is illegal how do airbnb get away with it so easily. 6 of my friends have booked an apartment in soho for 5 nights in August and worried for them as the full amount has been taken from my friends credit card to pay for it. There are dozens of options in NYC on their website so how are they getting away with this??

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,170 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Air bnb

Do a forum search for airbnb. You'll find countless discussions.

Read the Terms of Service on Airbnb's website. https://www.airbnb.com/terms Especially the areas in ALL CAPS. They explicitly absolve themselves of all responsibility.

Edited: 16 April 2014, 18:07
San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,173 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Air bnb

Airnbnb = Does Not Care that it's illegal in NYC. Period.

Aside from that this Does Not sound right. << as the full amount has been taken from my friends credit card to pay for it. >>

I thought one of the major selling points with AirNBnb is that no money is taken until 24 hrs after arrival. To protect the renter in case the rental doesn't live up to the advertisement. I think that this is not only Illegal but a good possibility it's also a scam.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
25,891 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Air bnb

Some really ugly recent news;

businessinsider.com.au/new-york-lawmwaker-on…

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,869 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Air bnb

No, it's correct; you do pay AirB&B in full and then they release the funds to the host 24 hours after the guest arrives. But, you do pay in full to AirB&B who basically holds it and the apartment is then deemed rented for the period of time you have paid for; if the host cancels, your money is returned -

This is all illegal to do though but at least with AirB&B if one shows up and can't access the apartment because the landlord has found out what the tenant is doing or the door person doesn't let them in, etc - the guests have (ostensibly) a way to get their money back by contacting AirB&B immediately and informing them of the situation.

That AirB&B simply disregards the laws of many cities in which they advertise is terribly reprehensible. The Attorney General's office is responding when they get specific details about rentals on AirB&B considering they have subpoenaed the names of AirB&B's NYC hosts -

I doubt this thread will last because TA has a habit of disappearing threads on this subject matter….

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Air bnb

Reconsider and get a hotel or apartment style hotel.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
495 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Air bnb

Look, if you go with Airbnb or any other of these illegal short-term rentals in NYC you run a very bad risk of arriving in NY after so much planning and money, only to find that the person renting to you has been outed and blocked from his building from engaging in this stuff.

Several people in my building were found out to be advertising on AirBnb and OnefineStay and were forced by the Board to cease and desist at once. Who knows what happened to their expected paying guests?

7. Re: Air bnb

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 20 April 2014, 13:05
Edited: 20 April 2014, 13:05
Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
25,329 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Air bnb

You realize that it's not Wall Street bankers who you hurt when you break the law, right? I get that you don't care, just want to make clear that you're part of the housing crisis that's hurting middle class New Yorkers.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
2,452 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Air bnb

New Yorkers do not want new adventuresome visitors moving in every week to apartments next door. New York has Wall Street. San Francisco has at least one idiot.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
37,541 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Air bnb

The new terms and conditions mentioned in the first post are interesting. Airbnb seems to be attempting to absolve themselves from the illegal activities they are facilitating. It will be interesting to see how this all stands up in a court of law. (BUT regardless or not of airbnb being held liable --the rentals STILL remain illegal at best and a scam at worst.