We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Areas to stay away from?

Littleton, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,503 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Areas to stay away from?

Are there any unsafe/ less safe areas where you would not as a couple walk after dark in Manhattan?

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
21,905 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Areas to stay away from?

No, not really. The only iffy areas are areas far away from anywhere you would have reason to be.

Here's a link from the Top Questions section: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k1504171…

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Areas to stay away from?

Not at all.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
10,094 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Areas to stay away from?

We wouldn't walk through deserted, industrial areas--we always feel safe when there are people around and businesses to walk into if anyone makes us uncomfortable.

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
8,097 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Areas to stay away from?

While there are still some high-crime neighborhoods in NYC, the way gentrification has progressed has resulted in none of them being centrally located. The "tourist block" of Manhattan - essentially, anything under 110th Street - is the safest large city area in the United States.

Ohio
Level Contributor
8,414 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Areas to stay away from?

You will feel and be much safer than in your home town or mine :)) NYC is truly a fabulous place.

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World, Las Vegas
Level Contributor
26,183 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Areas to stay away from?

Very safe there always are many people out and about just like you taking in the sites.

Atlanta, Georgia
6 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Areas to stay away from?

There are almost always a lot of people out. Manhattan is generally safe so you don't have to worry. However, it won't hurt to be mindful as well.

Littleton, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,503 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Areas to stay away from?

I guess you just can't win. I found this post in a restaurant review (yelp I think)--

"It's been a constant topic of discussion, and it seems to be on all of our minds: New York is dead.

Rent is too high, and we've chased out all of the artists. Nightlife is not what it used to be. Everything is too safe, and Manhattan has become a Disneyland for the wealthy. We hear this every day, and it's forced down our throats by our friends and loved ones who have given up the dream and moved to a more attainable and temperate Los Angeles. New York is a desolate wasteland of broken dreams and failed attempts at success. It's been the winter from hell, and every time the weather drops below freezing we call it a Polar Vortex, which is something that never existed in history before a few weeks ago. It's all we have to talk about, and much like anything in this life, you are what you dwell upon.

If you miss the art, go out and make some. If you want to find the old New York grit that everyone talks about, then go out and dig for it--it's still there. Even if it's only in your heart and your demeanor, as you take your coffee black and sneer at tourists on the sidewalk through oversized black sunglasses.

I'm sick of this debate, and I won't take part of it any longer. This has been my home for fourteen years, and she's murdered me every single winter to the point of cracking. But I'm looking forward to spring, and every spring after that, and I won't give up on her. It's the least I could do."

Manhattan
Level Contributor
8,921 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Areas to stay away from?

Just curious OP, this article relates to your original post how?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,569 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Areas to stay away from?

For all its short comings, New York will always be the centre of "its: universe. That "gripe" in post *8 is like hearing from my son (a struggling artist living in NYC) or my daughter (a very successful lawyer living in NYC). I ask them to return home to Vancouver and their answer is always, "NO, this is where we have to be!" They can't give up.