We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

JFK to Penn station

melbourne,aus
Level Contributor
983 posts
114 reviews
Save Topic
JFK to Penn station

Hi, I have read how to get the train from JFK to Jamaica station and then change trains to Penn but given i have no idea about the rail system can someone please give me a bit more information. which train line to transfer from and to. Also where can i find a map of the rail system for Manhattan. A bit of research prior might relieve a few of the public transport jitters but then again if i can catch trains in Paris where english is rare, then this should be a piece of cake.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
99,483 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: JFK to Penn station

There are 2 options, by subway or by Long Island Railroad. You can find maps of both on

http://web.mta.info/maps/

Maps.google.com

Will give you directions if you type

Jfk airport nyc to penn station nyc

Click the train icon at he upper left corner.

Edited: 18 April 2014, 03:04
melbourne,aus
Level Contributor
983 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: JFK to Penn station

thanks, i found a map on the mta site, it doesnt look too hard. I have been reading about the unlimited 7 day pass, can this be used from jfk to penn? also we are 2 couples so am wondering if its worth it to buy 2 cards and share or 4 cards?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
8,088 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: JFK to Penn station

Long Island Rail Road (LIRR) is the fastest. Just look for any train going to Penn Station. It is the fastest and the best option in my opinion....!!!

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
25,184 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: JFK to Penn station

The 7 day Metrocard won't cover the fare for the AirTrain from the airport to Jamaica, and it won't cover the fare for the LIRR from Jamaica to Penn Station. It WILL cover the fare for the subway from Jamaica to Penn Station if you go that route.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
6,331 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: JFK to Penn station

The LIRR is a commuter train, more comfortable and faster than the subway. Trains from Jamaica to Penn Station are very frequent, and make only one or two stops along the way, if not express all the way.

If you prefer to take the subway, the E train would get you directly to Penn Station.

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: JFK to Penn station

If there are four of you, then you can buy the JFK AirTrain 10-trip card for $20. This can be used by up to four people. So, essentially $20. gets you the four roundtrips - that's a very good deal.

I suggest the Long Island Rail Road from Jamaica to Penn Station as it is faster / more frequent / very comfortable / pleasant. If you're buying the unlimited ride MetroCard and prefer to take the E train, you can do that pretty much for free on the unlimited ride MetroCard you buy at Jamaica. The Long Island Rail Road is chargeable (not included). It is $4.00 per person on weekends ("CityTicket"), $7.00 on weekdays after 10:00AM and before 5:00AM and it is like $9.75 on weekdays for trains arriving Penn Station between 5:00AM and 10:00AM.

The tickets are known as "CityTicket" (weekend) and Peak and Off-Peak on the Long Island Rail Road. The uniformed people at the JFK AirTrain can help you with LIRR tickets. You can also use the machines on the mezzanine or go to the Long Island Rail Road staffed ticket window.

7. Re: JFK to Penn station

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 April 2015, 06:15