We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trying to report a trip...

Weert, The...
Level Contributor
139 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
Trying to report a trip...

This was my 3rd trip to NY, but the 1st one for the friend I was with.

Let me state first that it doesn't really matter where I'm heading for holiday's, I DO NOT SLEEP WELL THE NIGHT BEFORE. No exception this time... So, tired but excited I woke up to pick up my friend. My wife and kids brought us to our local trainstation to head for Amsterdam Schiphol Airport. This was going to be my first experience with KLM, so was really curious about this airline. My first 2 trips to the USA I went with Swiss Air and United Airlines. I reserved 2 seats in the very back of the plane, so we could turn our chair back without bothering anyone. We had a flawless flight and I have to admit, the service KLM provided was beyond expectations, (relatively) good food, free wine & beers as much as you like (which we did :) and very attentive staff, they even remembered to get sweeteners for my friends coffee after 5 hours.

Arrived as scheduled at JFK around 4.30pm, the line at customs was huge! I think it took more than one and a half hour! Cannot really remember how long it took the first time I went through JFK, but definitely not this long! My second trip I had to change flights in Washington Dulles, so customs in EWR wasn't necessary anymore. Anyway, after customs and taking the airtrain to Jamaica Station, we took the J train to our first hotel: Holiday Inn Lower East Side. One of the reasons I keep coming back to town is the first WOWBOOM I get as soon as I 1. exit the subwaystation (when coming in by train from JFK) 2. drive out of the Lincoln Tunnel (when taking a cab from EWR to Midtown) 3.4.5.6.7 & 8 etc....still to experience in the future, but can imagine lots of WOWBOOMS to come. So when we exited the Essex Street station, I knew instantly this were going to be 2 memorable weeks.

Check in went smooth. Despite being tired, after a quick shower I went directly to the 711 around the corner to get some drinks & snacks back to the room. After some (more) beers we went out to get some dinner. After some wandering through the neighbourhood we ate some very good tacos & enchadillas in a small (take out) place I cannot remember the name of. (remember it was near Hell's Angels Place Lower East Side). After this we walked back to the hotel to get some sleep...

My first impression of the neighbourhood was good. Vibrant, great restaurant- and bar scene with lots of things to see and explore. The only thing was I couldn't find my way back to the hotel blindly! (explicable...)

(GEE, I cannot promise that I can complete this report for the full 14 days, but I will do my best to do so in the next days!)

Ohio
Level Contributor
8,952 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trying to report a trip...

yes, a trip report! Keep it coming!

Level Contributor
36,173 posts
907 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trying to report a trip...

Love reading about NYC experiences.. please keep up the reports and have fun! :).

Weert, The...
Level Contributor
139 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trying to report a trip...

March 23rd 2014 First full day:

After a good night sleep we woke up early. Fit as life at 6 in the morning! Looking for a place for breakfast we ran into this diner called Olympic Restaurant on 115 Delancey Street. It was a little place, run by a nice hardworking (I think Puerto Rican or Mexican) family. There were some locals and some guys who appeared to be workers of the building industrie having breakfast. I ordered one of the omelette plates and my friend just an egg sandwich. For my friend this was the ultimate New York (or at least American) experience. We had to pay something like $ 20, including tip, coffee refills, orange juice and the breakfast! Nice. After this we took the F train to York Street where we explored DUMBO and had some nice “Once upon a Time in America” pictures, walked through the nice parks aside the 2 bridges. What amazed me was how silent the neighbourhood was. We were almost the only tourists among some dogwalkers and morning-joggers. (it was sundaymorning and COLD) We walked the Brooklyn Bridge, and after we shot our first 100  pictures, had a hot coffee at Starbucks.

Then we went further exploring the Financial District and walked towards Battery Park and took the Staten Island Ferry. The boat had to stay in Staten Island due to maintenance, so we had to switch to another one for the way back. I once learned from Johnny T not to get off at Staten Island, because this is where you put your garbage…but we did… for the swith….

We had lunch at Bill’s Bar & Burger in West Street (opposite the 911 Memorial exit). I can really recommend this place for first time visitors. It had (another) real New York/American vibe with lots of televisions, descent burgers and fries and good personell. It also had an open kitchen, which is always a plus to me. This was also the place where we had our first few Buds of the day!

After lunch we went straight to Times Square, where my friend’s mouth fell open for the 14th time this day. We walked back downtown along 7th Avenue, and took some train back to our hotel.

For dinner we walked to Curry Row in the East Village and had a relaxed evening at restaurant Malai Marke, where we had some amazing Indian food.

When walking back in the direction of our hotel we wanted to have some more drinks, so we walked into this bar called The Mercury Lounge at 217 East Houston Street. We had to pay $ 15 to get in!? OK, so we did. Once inside we came to knowledge that this band called “the Reverend Payton’s Big Damn Band” was playing this night. Never heard of them, but ok, our first live music experience in the Lower East Side was about to start! The band was in 1 word superb! We really enjoyed the mix between country/blues/rock of this 3 headed band. I mean, what a sound. This is what I came to New York for! Of course much too early, but many Buds later the band finished playing and we went off to the hotel, exhausted. (I’m still youtubeing the band on a daily base now…hoping they will make it to the European festivals one day…)

As I’m writing this report I realise how hard it is to remember everything when you write down nothing! I always want to do it during my trips but never get to it! I have to do another 13 days, so I think I will make an

extensive overview after this.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
16,719 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trying to report a trip...

You're doing well for even not writing everything down. Keep going if you can.

Hervey Bay...
Level Contributor
3,750 posts
403 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trying to report a trip...

This is great! Keep going with the days rather than a summary.

6. Re: Trying to report a trip...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 April 2015, 05:16