We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tourists And Pick Pockets

New York, NY
Level Contributor
2,543 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Tourists And Pick Pockets

We live in a part of Manhattan that is very popular with tourists--near Lincoln Center and Strawberry Fields. Among the ways tourists are noticeable to the locals are the obvious precautions taken to prevent from being pick pocketed. You see people with cross bags, bags hugged to the body, neck carriers and all manner of protection. I assume there are hidden money belts and perhaps even body armor.

Pick pocketing is a non-issue to the people who live in our neighborhood. It is never discussed, there are no precautions taken and I have never heard of it having happened. It must have happened to tourists, witness all the precautions. The question is, are the obvious precautions an attraction to pickpockets? Any thoughts?

Real New York Tours
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Tribeca Sailing
Boat Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Top Dog Tours NYC
Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
CityRover Walks NY
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, City Tours, Private Tours
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
8,241 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Tourists And Pick Pockets

I am ashamed to admit it, but one thing I think may serve as a deterrent to pickpockets, at least for women, is to have a frighteningly messy purse or backpack interior, with the good stuff buried at the bottom

I am always wary of bags with lots of outside zippered compartments from which something valuable could be easily grabbed. If I have those compartments, I use them for less valuable things.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,198 posts
215 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Tourists And Pick Pockets

I was pick-pocketed at the Rockefeller Ctr Christmas Tree. Thankfully, they got on ly a 10- (?) subway card. It was tucked in an outer pocket of my purse, which i s large and square and over-the-shoulder. Agree crossbody is better. I feel so safe in NYC I got sloppy and put the subway card there. Thankfully, the wallet, etc. was zipped in and did not get stolen. Anyplace where you're jammed in with people you do have to watch your stuff.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
8,173 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Tourists And Pick Pockets

One just have to be careful anywhere he/she goes.

The only time i saw phone snatching was on a Toronto Subway.....which is otherwise a pretty safe city.

Having said that ....ladies and gents.....whatever you do ...please don't wear a fanny pack ....thanks in advance !!!!

Fanny packs should be banned.

London, United...
Level Contributor
471 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Tourists And Pick Pockets

Just curious, do you not like fanny packs or is it that they are easier to steal from? My teens wear them but have them at the front so as to protect the contents. We witnessed an attempted pick pocketing on the steps down from the Montmartre in Paris a couple of years ago and when we turned round to see what the fuss was we realised that my son had had his backpack opened but luckilynI always tell them to put valuable stuff right at the bottom so nothing was missing.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,528 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Tourists And Pick Pockets

QQ2, I always read those police blotter items in our local west side papers. We seem to have occasional tourists involved over here, but it's a lot of opportunistic grabbing just like the east side, and always a few pocketbooks taken from chair backs. I'm amazed at how many people leave their bags on the bar when they go to the rest room.

It's certainly nothing like the stuff you read on the European forums.

Edited: 19 April 2014, 12:58
26. Re: Tourists And Pick Pockets

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 April 2015, 05:16