We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

AirTrain to Subway at Jamaica exchange - a couple of questio

London, United...
Level Contributor
20 posts
74 reviews
Save Topic
AirTrain to Subway at Jamaica exchange - a couple of questio

Hi Folks,

This has been probably been raised a million times before, excuse my ignorance by my search didn't find the answer.

I plan on taking the AirTrain from JFK to Jamaica. My ultimate destination is going to be Lexington Av/63 St station, so I will take the E train from Sutphin Blvd to Kew Gardens then just take the F from there.

I've never done this particular journey so I have a few questions - I appreciate the help:

1- The first change from Jamaica to Sutphin Blvd - how much walking should I expect?

2- Where do you buy the AirTrain tickets

3- Where do you then buy a subway metro card - I am looking to buy a weekly travel card, can I buy both of these from the same place.

4- At Kew Gardens, do I have to change platforms?

Do you guys think it is a better idea to just stay on the E train till Lexington Av/53 St and just take a taxi from there?

I'm travelling solo, got a couple of bags (one big, one small and a backpack). I'm used to carrying stuff - but I will be travelling for 7 hours from London! :)

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
10,772 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: AirTrain to Subway at Jamaica exchange - a couple of questio

You buy your AirTrain ticket after you get off the AirTarin in Jamaica, not at the airport.

You go downstairs, escalators or elevators to the subway. Not much walking. That's where you'll buy your Metrocards for your visit.

The transfer from the E to the F is same-platform, probably same track. No walking involved. If your destination is at Lexington and 63rd then you might as well transfer. Lexington & 63rd is a deep station with an elevator is available. Check the elevator status before you leave home to make sure it's running.

http://advisory.mtanyct.info/EEoutage/

London, United...
Level Contributor
20 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: AirTrain to Subway at Jamaica exchange - a couple of questio

Awesome - thanks a lot AudenHoggart!!

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: AirTrain to Subway at Jamaica exchange - a couple of questio

Very easy. There are unformed people there when you step off in Jamaica and they can help you with purchasing the fare media.

Simply follow the well-marked signage. Not a long walk at all - you'll simply take the elevator down to the subway.

Board a Manhattan bound E train toward World Trade Center. I'd suggest changing at Forest Hills (71 / Continental Avs / Forest Hills). The reason I say Forest Hills is that it is the terminating point / originating point for the R and M trains - there are a ton of uniformed subway staff there and that always makes tourists more comfortable. You won't need them and you won't be confused but it just seems to comfort visitors to see lots of uniformed rail workers they could conceivably ask a question of.

Take the F train to 63rd / Lexington. Could not be any easier.

Have fun. Enjoy.

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
10,772 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: AirTrain to Subway at Jamaica exchange - a couple of questio

If you change trains at Forest Hills, which is fine, the F train that you'll want to get next will be on the same side of the platform as the E train you just got off. You won't want the trains on the other side of the platform -- they're going to different destinations.

Is 63rd Street your exact destination? I ask because the R train, which you can get on the other side of the platform at Forest Hills (or the next couple of stops) will go to 59th Street & Lexington Avenue.

London, United...
Level Contributor
20 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: AirTrain to Subway at Jamaica exchange - a couple of questio

Thanks for the info guys - super helpful!

AudenHoggart, yes indeed it is, going to a place on the corner of E 63rd and 2nd, 2 blocks away from the station.

6. Re: AirTrain to Subway at Jamaica exchange - a couple of questio

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 April 2015, 05:16