We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary advice please

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
284 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary advice please

Hi, I'm trying to put together a loose itinerary for our November trip to New York.

I have given up reading books in favour of reading trip reports on here, it seems to have taken over my life, very addictive!!!

Anyway, since reading lots of TRs I have come to realise that although thorough planning is great, the best laid plans don't always pan out, so have decided to have a loose plan for each day but rather go with the flow and see where New York takes us!

There is just one day that I have grouped together, which looks like it may be too much, so would appreciate comments/advice

This will be on a Sunday as we arrive midday the day before, so I figured we'd be up early and raring to get going!

9/11 memorial

Trinity Church

St Paul's Chapel

Wall Street

Staten Island Ferry (to view SOL)

Ferry to Brooklyn

Smorgasburg

Brooklyn Heights Promenade

Brooklyn Bridge to Manhattan at sunset.

Thanks in advance 😊

Center Moriches...
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary advice please

A whole lot of raring will be necessary to tackle that list, but you have the right attitude. There's always the next day. Just have a backup plan as November can run the full gamut of weather changes.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
284 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary advice please

Haha!!!

It does look a lot doesn't it?!

My thoughts were to do the manhattan side in the morning and the Brooklyn half in the afternoon and take the whole day?

Center Moriches...
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary advice please

Go for it. I'm a bit of a madman in NY and love to cover lots of ground. But sometimes, just slowing down and stopping in a bar, restaurant, or little shop feels like the perfect way to spend the time.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,038 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary advice please

I think that will work well! The morning stuff won't take up too much time. By November there will be no booking required for the 9/11 Memorial. The Staten Island Ferry takes about an hour round trip. That looks like a good 3-4 hour morning at the most. As for Brooklyn, the East River Ferry is a nice, direct way to get there. But you can take the subway as well. The 2 or 3 train 1 stop from Wall Street to Clark Street will get you to Brooklyn Heights. Looks Good!

Shawn

http://nytourguy.blogspot.com/

http://instagram.com/nytourguy

Edmonton, Canada
Destination Expert
for Edmonton
Level Contributor
3,277 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary advice please

Hi Stellapop. It would be a bit too much for me, I think you risk "charging around" a little bit - and having too many big "moments" in a day can be tiring, but that's me.

Doing this on your first full day is good. You will have lots of energy, plus you will have additional days to work with if you aren't able to get to everything that day.

One major thing to consider is that when you visit in November the 9/11 Museum will be open. Will you want to visit? That will change things.

As for Smorgasburg, I easily spent a couple of hours down around the Brooklyn Bridge Park and Smorgasburg area. It takes time to look, and eat, then look, then eat, then have oh, maybe just one more look. ;) The time you spend there will be a bit weather dependent in November though.

You are on the right track. Enjoy!

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
284 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary advice please

Hi Shawn, thanks for reply. we're on the same page!!

I had planned to get the east ferry over to Brooklyn and also thought that the Staten Island ferry would take the biggest chunk of time out of the morning activities.

Chris, we'll be doing plenty of sitting in cafés, we're the masters at sitting in cafés!!! But just thought as it was our first day and we'll likely be up early, that we should hit the road running and get a good chunk of must sees done while we're fully energized!

Hi mcwhippet,

"As for Smorgasburg, I easily spent a couple of hours down around the Brooklyn Bridge Park and Smorgasburg area. It takes time to look, and eat, then look, then eat, then have oh, maybe just one more look. ;) "

Hahaha, this is us too down to a tee!

About the museum, just wanted to see the memorial, would this still be possible or would we have to go in the museum too?

Ps, loved your TR!

Thanks all x

Milton Keynes...
Level Contributor
49 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary advice please

I have mapped out a similar day to that on my upcoming September trip.

My only comment (considering I have as yet never been to NY and therefore have no experience to draw on), is whether you would find Wall Street more of an experience on a weekday when people are actually working there, as opposed to a Sunday when it will be quieter?

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
72 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Itinerary advice please

I think this is very doable. Our first full day was a Sunday also and we pretty much did every thing on your list and also visited TOTR at 6.30 that evening.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
284 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Itinerary advice please

That's great to know. How did you find the Sunday, less/more busy than a weekday?

I appreciate it sounds a hectic day but my idea is to get an early start and pack in the morning, then over to Brooklyn where we can eat at the market and take it easy before walking the Bridge back.

Haha, might even be able to squeeze in an evening trip up the ESB!!

Will be fit for nothing come Monday morning!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
180 posts
614 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Itinerary advice please

Having been to NYC just last year as first time visitors, can appreciate your excitement. It is indeed a lot to do in a day but I guess it is doable, however, you'll find NYC has a tendency of just picking you up and whisking you away into areas you never thought you'd go. It is amazing. Some comments - the Staten Island ferry does pass by the SOL but from quite a distance. I'd investigate other options like a cruise from lower Manhattan to Brooklyn. We much preferred the TOTR to the ESB as the latter has a tiny cramped viewing area that can get very crowded and the TOTR is much more spacious. I'm not sure of your age, but if you were an adult when 9/11 happened, the visit to the Memorial will be fairly powerful. As the museum will be open, it would be mandatory to go there. I wrote reviews of all the things we did in NYC so you might like to read those - just click on my name and they'll be there.