We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Easiest way to get around?

K M
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
175 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Easiest way to get around?

Hi Guys,

I have a plan for our holiday in Dec but I am not exactly sure the easiest way to direct ourselves around.

What have you guys done before? Did you carry a city map and subway map around and look as you go? Did anyone have a list of addresses for each place and the nearest subway? Should I have directions already planned prior to leaving for our trip? I'm really not sure what the easiest way to do this is!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
99,791 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Easiest way to get around?

Hopstop.com

On a smart phone is handy if you'll have one.

K M
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
175 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Easiest way to get around?

Genious!!

Quick question though.

I have put in Hudson New York Hotel to NYC High Line and Hopstop says the C or A train, where as Google maps says the 1 or 2 subway or A or E train.

When I got to the MTA info it says under the subway heading, A and E train. I'm confused with the lingo! Is A/E train the subway? or is it actually a train?

We plan to get the 7 day unlimited metro card but not really sure if it covers a train.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Easiest way to get around?

The A and E are separate trains. The A is the express and the E is the local. They basically run over the same line therefore that various platforms advise you to take either/or.

Your Metrocard covers both the train(that's what we call them: rain or simply subway) and buses.

There will almost always be various options to get from point A to pt B.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
25,350 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Easiest way to get around?

If you look at a subway map, the directions will become clearer. All of the direction apps are only useful if you either have a working knowledge of the subway map or if you have a subway map you can refer to.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Easiest way to get around?

Said subway map:

http://web.mta.info/maps/submap.html

Edited: 20 April 2014, 12:37
new york
Level Contributor
3,088 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Easiest way to get around?

I used to carry around the subway map in my purse, but now I just use an iPhone app that has the map on it. If I'm visiting a city I'm not familiar with, I will look at my transit options in advance, then refer back to the app when I'm on the go.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,038 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Easiest way to get around?

The A, C or E are the subway. We often refer to the lines as trains. I think having a subway and street map with you or on your phone is a good way to get around. A note on addresses, most NYers barely use them. Our streets are fairly close together, so we just use the intersecting (or "cross streets") to navigate. For instance, for directions to Chelsea Market, you would tell someone to go to 15th Street and 9th Ave. Subways are similarly on corners. The Times Square station is on 42nd Street and 7th Ave. Union Square is on 14th Street and Park Ave. Etc. So we generally don't worry about addresses except for apartment buildings or other nondescript buildings. Check out the subway map linked above. Every station has a list of numbers or letters underneath it. Those are the subway trains that stop at that station.

A last note on navigating the streets, much of Manhattan is a numbered grid. Avenues run north/south, and streets run east/west. The avenue numbers increase as you travel west. Street numbers increase as you travel north. So 49th Street and 7th Avenue is Northwest of 23rd Street and 1st Avenue. It's really very easy to figure out and NYers are happy to help out when you're lost.

Shawn

http://nytourguy.blogspot.com/

http://instagram.com/nytourguy

Edited: 20 April 2014, 14:06
Ohio
Level Contributor
9,057 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Easiest way to get around?

The time we used the subway we took a few practice runs. We rode for a few stops, got off and went above ground, looked around a bit then repeated up and downtown. We spent our first afternoon doing that and had a wonderful adventure and felt more at ease finding our way around.

Edited: 20 April 2014, 14:36
Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
11,984 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Easiest way to get around?

There are numbered subway lines and lettered subway lines. This dates to the era when there were three different subway systems which, over time, got interconnected. You'll notice that the numbered trains have narrower cars than the lettered ones. They're legacy from the original IRT system. The wider lettered cars, which obviously can't run on the same tracks as the numbered ones because of the difference in cars and platforms, are legacies of the BMT and IND system. These two are no longer separated as they once were.

All the lines use the same track gauge however.

10. Re: Easiest way to get around?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 April 2015, 05:16