We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Show suggestions to appease non-theatre loving husbands??

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
16 posts
157 reviews
Save Topic
Show suggestions to appease non-theatre loving husbands??

My friend and want to take in a Broadway musical - preferably one we will enjoy. Caveat - our husbands aren't typically theatre lovers. So, we need something upbeat and fun to maintain their attention. We were thinking The Book of Mormon, Wicked, Jersey Boys, or Cabaret. Open to any feedback or suggestions. Thanks!

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
11,086 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Show suggestions to appease non-theatre loving husbands??

Why don't you send them off to do something else?

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Show suggestions to appease non-theatre loving husbands??

Is there a reason why your husbands should go with you if they aren't really keen on the idea? Can't they go do something for a couple of hours while you and your friend take in a show? Just an idea. Afterall, tickets are pretty expensive and if they don't really want to be there it is an expensive outing.

Otherwise, of those you've listed which ones would they prefer? You can go online and see what each show is about and usually see maybe a clip or two and they can see and watch and decide which show they'd prefer. BTW - my family really enjoyed Jersey Boys. Heavy on singing and very entertaining as a result. IF you enjoy the music of the Four Seasons.

But, I do have ask again. Why do they need to go with you and spend a lot of money on something they aren't really interested in?

Boston
Level Contributor
955 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Show suggestions to appease non-theatre loving husbands??

Agreed, if they're not into theatre there's plenty other things they can do for the couple hours you and your friend are at the show. With tix to the shows (usually) so expensive it's not worth bringing them along if it's not something they want to try. Book of Mormon if you all want to go, as long as you have senses of humor

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
16 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Show suggestions to appease non-theatre loving husbands??

Thanks for the input. They are interested in attending - they'd like the experience of seeing a broadway show. I just want to choose carefully so that they also enjoy the experience.

New York City
Level Contributor
4,923 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Show suggestions to appease non-theatre loving husbands??

Stay away from Wicked...Its totally girly

Id take him to Rock of Ages

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Show suggestions to appease non-theatre loving husbands??

OK - so I'll repeat

<<You can go online and see what each show is about and usually see maybe a clip or two and they can see and watch and decide which show they'd prefer.>>

Only they know what will appeal to them. So I'd show them the reviews and the clips of scenes. I don't think anyone else can decide because no one knows them here on TA.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Show suggestions to appease non-theatre loving husbands??

I just saw this comment

<<I just want to choose carefully so that they also enjoy the experience.>>

Per previous - including what I've said I would not pick for them. Some of these tickets are $100 or more. Let them decide what they want to see. Or skip all together.

Edited: 20 April 2014, 04:58
Weert, The...
Level Contributor
138 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Show suggestions to appease non-theatre loving husbands??

What about Rocky?

Grantham, United...
Level Contributor
683 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Show suggestions to appease non-theatre loving husbands??

Avenue Q!

melbourne
Level Contributor
1,088 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Show suggestions to appease non-theatre loving husbands??

go yourselves - are you joined at the hip