We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Big Apple Greeters-wonderful service/returning the favour

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
332 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Big Apple Greeters-wonderful service/returning the favour

Just wanted to share that earlier this year I was priviliged to have the opportunity to return the favour to my 'Big Apple Greeter' from my last visit to NYC. SF and his wife visited Australia and NZ on a tour, and spent a few extra days in Melbourne. Whilst I don't think I did as a good a job as SF did when he shared Brooklyn with me on my visit, it was wonderful to at least attempt to return the favour and meet his lovely wife and show them some of the sites of Melbourne.

Any of you thinking of visiting NYC who haven't been there before, I urge you to apply for a Big Apple Greeter. I have used this service twice now and got so much out of it. I truly believe I gained insights and info into NYC I wouldn't have had on a 'commerical' tour.

It's going to be a long time before I can visit NYC again, but I look forward to catching up with SF and his wife next time I am there. I've been fortunate to have been to many countries, but NYC seems to be the one I return to most! No trip to the USA to visit family is complete without a quick stop in NYC ;)

Edited: 20 April 2014, 07:20
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
332 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Big Apple Greeters-wonderful service/returning the favour

Just wanted to share that earlier this year I was priviliged to have the opportunity to return the favour to my 'Big Apple Greeter' from my last visit to NYC. SF and his wife visited Australia and NZ on a tour, and spent a few extra days in Melbourne. Whilst I don't think I did as a good a job as SF did when he shared Brooklyn with me on my visit, it was wonderful to at least attempt to return the favour and meet his lovely wife and show them some of the sites of Melbourne.

Any of you thinking of visiting NYC who haven't been there before, I urge you to apply for a Big Apple Greeter. I have used this service twice now and got so much out of it. I truly believe I gained insights and info into NYC I wouldn't have had on a 'commerical' tour.

It's going to be a long time before I can visit NYC again, but I look forward to catching up with SF and his wife next time I am there. I've been fortunate to have been to many countries, but NYC seems to be the one I return to most! No trip to the USA to visit family is complete without a quick stop in NYC ;)

Edited: 20 April 2014, 07:20
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,986 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Big Apple Greeters-wonderful service/returning the favour

Lovely of you to post about this CatOz.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9,018 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Big Apple Greeters-wonderful service/returning the favour

What a wonderful post Cat.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
7,846 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Big Apple Greeters-wonderful service/returning the favour

This is so awesome....so nice that you both stayed in touch.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
332 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Big Apple Greeters-wonderful service/returning the favour

I just think it is a great way to get a locals insight into NYC. It is actually the only 'tour' I have done in NYC, for everything else I found my own way around.

SF and his wife actually spent their entire time in Melbourne catching up with people SF had been a Big Apple Greeter for.

6. Re: Big Apple Greeters-wonderful service/returning the favour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 May 2015, 05:15