We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airbnb, a couple of questions!!

Canterbury
Level Contributor
29 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
Airbnb, a couple of questions!!

I've just won a competion for £500 worth of Airbnb vouchers and was hoping to go to NYC in December with them.

However reading up it seems that it's illegal to rent in New York for less than 30 days?? Is this if you rent an entire appartment, is it legal to rent just avroom from somebody??

Is there anywhere in the city I can LEGALLY use my vouchers??

Many thanks

Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
133 reviews
from US$175.00*
Special Offer
New York City Big Apple Helicopter...
1,099 reviews
from US$199.00*
US$214.00
New York in One Day Guided...
970 reviews
from US$83.99*
Empire State Building Tickets...
2,372 reviews
from US$36.00*
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
8,149 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airbnb, a couple of questions!!

This is in todays paper :

Nearly two-thirds of the city apartments recently listed on Airbnb were being offered in violation of the law, an analysis by state authorities has found.

The study of data from the subletting service’s own Web site showed 64 percent of its 19,500-plus offerings for Jan. 31 covered an “entire apartment,” says an affidavit from the state Attorney General’s Office.

By law, a “permanent resident” must be present to sublet an apartment for fewer than 30 days.

In addition, more than 200 of the offerings came from just five “hosts,” suggesting third parties were renting out pads on behalf of their owners.

“The top five hosts by number of listings had the following number of listings: 80, 35, 31, 29 and 28,” Sumanta Ray, director of research and analysis for the AG’s Investor Protection Bureau, wrote in the affidavit, obtained by The Post.

nypost.com/2014/…

Edited: 21 April 2014, 09:49
Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airbnb, a couple of questions!!

Use the vouchers in a city where it is LEGAL to rent apartments via Airbnb.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
503 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airbnb, a couple of questions!!

Forget about Airbnb in NYC!

Take a look at what is happening on this issue in NY. Happily, it looks like they will soon be brought to justice and shut down

nypost.com/2014/…

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airbnb, a couple of questions!!

houdi, I am not an Airbnb fan for NYC, but to say that they will/should/etc be shut down is nonsense. They run a legitimate business in cities where it is LEGAL to rent vacation apartments.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
8,149 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airbnb, a couple of questions!!

Airbnb is a legitimate business. As mentioned in the New York Post article that 1/3rd of the listings are legal in NYC. However 2/3 being almost Illegal is a big number.

When a person is renting out 80 properties so that he/she can list them on Airbnb or any other site then it is a gross violation of many rules and contributes to the lack of affordable housing in the city in my opinion.

I agree with ter1413 that it is legal in many cities all across the world. Hamburg Germany being one, which changed its laws to allow Airbnb.

cnet.com/news/…

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
503 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airbnb, a couple of questions!!

They should be shut down in NYC! because that is where they are continuing to engage in illegal activities

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
8,149 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Airbnb, a couple of questions!!

What about the 1/3rd activity that is legal. Shutting down is no solution. Before Airbnb there was and still is Craigslist. It needs to be regulated better.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
503 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Airbnb, a couple of questions!!

Good point. Better regulation and enforcement is needed.

And how about all the other services like OneFineStay , and frankly, even Tripadvisor advertises loads of illegal NYC s-t rentals on their site under 'Vacation Rentals'. I don't understand why TA does this.

Edited: 21 April 2014, 13:19
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
42,275 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Airbnb, a couple of questions!!

Now they want to pay taxes as a "legal hotel" - love how they are trying to spin themselves as being altruistic by saying that these illegal rentals have allowed New Yorkers to remain in their homes, as though they give a hoot about that issue - Their PR person needs to find new spin because that one is so embarrassingly transparent:

nydailynews.com/new-york/airbnb-bids-pay-tax…

Their offer to do this leaves me with the impression that their efforts to overturn the ruling/law is not going well for them.

Canterbury
Level Contributor
29 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Airbnb, a couple of questions!!

Thanks for all of your input, I didn't realise it was such an emotive subject!!

Forgive my questions, but does that mean that ALL "entire appartment" listing are illegal? If not, how can I be sure that I'm contacting a legal listing?

So is it possible to legally rent a room in someone's house/appartment??

It does seem like an absolute minefield!!