We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grand Lodge Building and Masonic Hall tour?

northeast
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Topic
Grand Lodge Building and Masonic Hall tour?

I can't find much information about this online but my traveling companion loves touring cathedrals and old interesting buildings - would the Freemason Lodge be interesting for him? Has anyone been there and taken the tour? Any info would be very appreciated!!

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,913 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Grand Lodge Building and Masonic Hall tour?

Did you check the Freemason website for NYC?

www.masonsnyc.org

Edited: 21 April 2014, 16:01
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
99,455 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grand Lodge Building and Masonic Hall tour?

That link doesn't work

nymasons.org/our-grand-lodge/tour-the-hall.h…

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
99,455 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grand Lodge Building and Masonic Hall tour?

You can now take tours of the Woolworth building but must be booked in advance. Customs House is another. St. John the Divine too.

Bergen County, New...
Level Contributor
4,053 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grand Lodge Building and Masonic Hall tour?

Don't miss the polychrome terracotta exterior of the New York City Center Theater (130 W 55), which would be called The Masonic Temple in another city. The interior has been beautifully renovated, but you'd have to see a show to get beyond the ticket lobby. Radio City Music Hall is a legendary interior, that may be tourable.

If it's still on during your visit, you might want to see the the Museum of the City of New York's show on the Guastavino Tile Company. A few of these sites are still visible-for example the Oyster Bar in Grand Central Station. You might also want to look online for Art Deco office building lobbies where you can at least get as far as the security desk. Check around the Municipal Art Society website, and get the AIA Guide to NY book from your public library.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,467 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Grand Lodge Building and Masonic Hall tour?

I've been in the building but it was for an event, not the tour. It's interesting and the auditorium is impressive. I believe it is sometimes open on that weekend when they let people into buildings--help, someone, what is that called?

I would also recommend the Woolworth Building and the Smithsonian Museum of the American Indian at Bowling Green, where they do a building tour that takes you into some of the rooms that are not usually open. When you leave there, stop on #1 Broadway, then walk up Broadway and look into as many of the building lobbies as they will let you--security varies and you may be told you're not allowed in, but many of them don't care.

6. Re: Grand Lodge Building and Masonic Hall tour?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 April 2015, 05:16