We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mom has more requests for hotel!!

Pahrump, Nevada
Level Contributor
31 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Mom has more requests for hotel!!

In earlier post I had asked about parking my car, and that issue is resolved. Bringing my mom to NYC July 2nd and now leaving on the 6th instead of 7th. After sharing all the information I had learned here with her, I find out she's been chatting with her friends and she is determined to stay in times square as she wants to walk to the broadway shows. She's skeptical of a lot of subway trips despite my insight from all of you but not skeptical of how busy it will be in Times Square. The NYLO where my reservation had been made is now out, and she doesn't want the Holiday Inn on W. 31st either, she wants Times Square. I'm not going to try and convince her otherwise, I want this to be a trip she'll feel like she wanted and got. Realizing that the prices will be higher, I've raised the budget to $1200.00 for the 4 nights (after tax). I've reserved a room at the Marriott Marquis that is within that range with the Senior Discount and it is refundable. My question is, is there anything else in the area as nice as the Marquis and within budget? All the reviews are great including nywhiz's comments on other posts....I'm just afraid I'm going to miss that really good deal at another hotel because I didn't know!!! (The Hilton Times Square is out of budget range at the moment). Thank you!!!

Pahrump, Nevada
Level Contributor
31 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Mom has more requests for hotel!!

How many steps are there going down to the subway? Do they vary? What is the average if they do?

Pahrump, Nevada
Level Contributor
31 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Mom has more requests for hotel!!

Got it reserved!!! Thanks nywhiz, I respect your opinion so much just from reading all of your posts!!!

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,268 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Mom has more requests for hotel!!

It varies greatly, not just by station but by which line you're going to. If it's just a standard set of steps down to a single platform, I'd guess 30ish. But many stations will have multiple lines stacked over each other, and sometimes if you pick a less than optimal entrance you have to go down to the first platform, walk along it, go down steps to get under that line, come back up steps to get to the other side, and then go down more steps to get to the line you want.

If mom has a problem with steps, pay attention to which stations and entrances have elevators. Not all do, but you can save some energy that way.

Pahrump, Nevada
Level Contributor
31 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Mom has more requests for hotel!!

nywhiz, is there a decent hotel in times square that would have been within my original budget?

Pahrump, Nevada
Level Contributor
31 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Mom has more requests for hotel!!

Thank you BrooklynBridge!!!

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Mom has more requests for hotel!!

I could be wrong about this but isn't it the Marriott Times Square where I've read that the elevators can take 15 minutes because it's so busy and crowded?

I'm sure people who know better will say - I just thought that's what I've read.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,403 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Mom has more requests for hotel!!

" is there a decent hotel in times square that would have been within my original budget?"

There are hotels a block or three from Times Square that are closer to your original budget than either the Marriott or the Intercontinental.

The Paramount is showing rates as low as $172/night plus tax if you prepay for a queen room or $212/night plus tax for 2 doubles or $242 for a cancelable rate for 2 doubles. (Travelocity)

Pahrump, Nevada
Level Contributor
31 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Mom has more requests for hotel!!

ok, I think I've got this all screwed up.... "she is determined to stay in times square as she wants to walk to the broadway shows". Times Square hotel = closest to Broadway shows??

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
1,114 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Mom has more requests for hotel!!

Brenda

It might help you to find the theater(s) you are attending into Google maps so you can see where they are located - then search for hotels. Google maps will show you the hotels in that area.

Then perhaps when you have a shortlist ask for more advice. You have been given some excellent options already so I'm not sure what else you are looking for that hasn't been recommended?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,403 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Mom has more requests for hotel!!

The theaters run from 42 st. to around 52 st. so some hotels will be closer to some theaters than others. You're coming for 4 days and as I undertsand it, are only seeing ONE show. You're making yourself crazy! You need to start using

Maps.google.com

Just type a place at the top (ie Intercontinental Times Square NYC to Paramount Hotel NYC) and see ow fat they are. If you click the person icon at the top left you'll get walking time and distance.

Edited: 24 April 2014, 13:00