We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weekend trip in Dec

Level Contributor
20 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Weekend trip in Dec

My husband and I are planning a trip to NYC for a long weekend in Decmeber. I know Dec is the most expensive month to go to NYC, but are there any recommendations of relatively inexpensive hotels that are clean? Neither of us have been there before so we have no clue what areas are good/bad. Any help and suggestions would be very much appreciated! Thanks!

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
15,072 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weekend trip in Dec

Please post your budget. Also, an idea of what you are interested in doing might help pin down an area. Are you OK with staying off of Manhattan & taking the subway?

Level Contributor
20 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weekend trip in Dec

It seems like all the hotels in NYC exceed the budget I'd like to have. Thankfully, we aren't planning to go until December so we can start saving now. I will tell you that I am not looking to spend $500/night! I am fine staying out of the city as long as it's fairly easy to commute. We will most likely not be renting a car. Subway is fine.

I know we will want to go to Rockefeller Center and the Statue of Liberty.

Edited: 22 April 2014, 16:09
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,038 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weekend trip in Dec

Please let us know your budget a little better. Some people think $350 is reasonable, for others it is too much. The more specific info we have on your budget, the more specific advice you can get.

Shawn

http://nytourguy.blogspot.com/

http://instagram.com/nytourguy

Level Contributor
20 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weekend trip in Dec

I'd LOVE to be able to stay somewhere under $300, but I do NOT want to stay in a nasty, unsafe hotel. Is that possible?? Basically, I want to find a hotel that is safe and clean for the cheapest possible.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,036 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weekend trip in Dec

Dec prices fluctuate. If you go the weekend just before Christmas, prices will be lower than weekends earlier in the month. Look on Kayak..com for that weekend and you'll see a good selection of choices for well under $300.

It's early to be booking. More hotels will probably publish sales for that just-before-Christmas hotel lull. See if you can book something that can be canceled without a fee.

Center Moriches...
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weekend trip in Dec

Consider Long Island City as possible budget alternative. Outside of Manhattan, but short subway ride away. Be aware that not all LIC hotels have easy access to the subway.

Level Contributor
20 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Weekend trip in Dec

Thanks! We definitely aren't set on a certain date so I will check that.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
99,483 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Weekend trip in Dec

Avoid the first weekend in Dec. The closer you go to Xmas, the cheaper the price. 18-21 or 22 would be good. I would avoid staying near Rockefeller Center at that time as it's REALLY REALLY crowded. The Courtyard Marriott on east 40th st. would be a great location for around $200/night plus tax. It's very near Bryant Park where there's a Xmas market and ice rink and walkable to Rockefeller Center. If you want to pay less and are coming into either JFK or LGA, staying in Long Island City near a subway stop is a good way to save money. Not all the hotels there are near the subway though, so check back here before booking or plot the hotel on google maps and make sure it's near a blue m.

Level Contributor
20 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Weekend trip in Dec

Thank you all for your wonderful help!!! I checked the weekend before Christmas and you all are right, it's MUCH cheaper. I found the Marriott Downtown for $179/nt. Do you all know anything about that hotel?

I will also check out the Courtyard Marriott you suggested.

10. Re: Weekend trip in Dec

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 April 2015, 05:16